Araucana & Ameracauna?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by australorp_breeder, Oct 11, 2009.

1. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    I was wondering what the difference is between the two? Like do they both lay colored eggs and have fluffy cheeks?

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Araucanas have have muffs and are rumpless

Americanas have beards and they do have tails.

Both lay colored eggs

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Yep

4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Araucanas, in the US and Canada, do NOT have muffs. They have ear TUFTS. The two things sound similar, but anatomically they are very different.

There is a huge, ongoing thread about the differences between araucanas and Ameraucanas, right here in this forum. Check it out!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128806

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:OH yeah thanks, I knew they are called tufts but I couldn't think of what it was called at the time.

6. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Oh, sorry guys, didn't see the forum topic. What are muffs? Thank you to all who answered.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  8. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Here's the best description I've seen of the two structures:

"Araucanas are often confused with two other types of colored-egg-laying chickens: Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers.

The Ameraucana should also lay blue eggs, but unlike the Araucana it has a tail and possesses muffs and a beard, which are quite different from the tufts of the Araucana, and no feather crest. Muffs and beards provide insulation against the cold. They are downy filoplumes that grow on the face below the eyes, extending to beyond the ears as well as the throat. Earrings or "Tufts" as they are known in Western countries are actual feathers that grow from fleshy lobes called peduncles on either side of the birds' face. Quetero are prominently tufted but many females have only small earrings or lack them altogether. Tufts are associated with a lethal gene, which makes them difficult to attain.

The Easter Egg Chicken is not an actual breed; the term refers to any bird that lays colored eggs. The vast majority of birds sold as "Araucanas" or "Ameraucanas" are actually neither. Instead, they are mixed breeds with no APA (American Poultry Association) Standard that lay colored eggs, ranging from bluish and greenish to pinkish-brown, and sometimes even tan, gray or white."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana

9. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Amazingly enough, all of that makes sense to me. Thank you very much! No offense, but you would think someone would get a headache from switching between the two names so many times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by