Araucana, Americauna, Easter Egger

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by New Chick2, Jul 23, 2014.

1. New Chick2

New Chick2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone help me identify any hens I might have?
    Thank you

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    EE and looks like all roos

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree they're all mixed breed or EE cockerels. What's up with the featherlessness?

4. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014
    I'm guessing it's just because they are young. Lots of them are still pretty bare on their backs and I haven't seen anyone picking on each other.

5. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014

How can you tell?

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Big three rowed red combs. Typical rooster coloring which includes, but not limited to red on the wings. Flashy appearance for sure. They are all roosters.

If you haven't seen any pecking, could they have mites or something like that?

7. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014
    Thanks. They are quite clean and I have checked them closely for bugs without finding any. I did have them on the same high protein fermented feed as my cx meat birds until we processed them. These were my "free bonus chicks" for ordering 100 of the cx which also had bare backs until they finally feathered out in the last few weeks when they looked great. Do you think it might be the food?

8. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014
    Would a hen have a single row comb?

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Agreed - all EE roos - and the backs would not be that bare just due to their age, that is indicative of some sort of outside "cause" - whether it be bugs, picking, etc.

10. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014
    any suggestions on what it might be? Should I throw in some diatamatous earth or garden dust? we have only had chickens for less than a year but I have one coop with my laying hens (they get let loose to run the farm ever day) only one of them has a bare back - think she is my rooster's favorite. She has been like that for a long time and none of the others do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by