1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Araucana/Americauna or EE???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RobinZ, Jun 6, 2011.

1. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Got 4 chicks at the feed store, they were getting rid of chicks. They said they are Araucanas, since I know nothing of the breed what do you all think? One thing I know they are cute as can be and love attention.

[​IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    If it came from a feedstore, 100% certain it's an EE, regardless of what they labled them as.

Araucanas are purebred birds that are hard to find, and super expensive. The only chick you could buy for 3 bucks at a feedstore is a cute little EE. I personally love EEs as they come in more colors than the purebreds, and are super fun to have in the back yard.

Enjoy them! They're the best!

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    They are EE's. You will love them. They tend to be super sweet and generally pretty good layers.

Lanae

4. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    EE! Cute! I love those puffy cheeks!!!

5. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Could it be an Americauna and not an Auracauna?

The Auracauna's have no tail, and are rare and expensive.

6. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    ~~What are the major differences between Ameraucana and Araucana chickens?~~

Both breeds lay eggs with shells colored various shades of blue, have pea combs, and should have red earlobes. Beyond that few similarities exist in specimens meeting the requirements of recognized poultry standards. Perhaps 99 percent of chickens sold as Araucanas (or Ameraucanas) by commercial hatcheries are actually mongrels (aka Easter Egg chickens), meeting the requirements of neither breed.

According to the American Poultry Association (APA), the Araucana breed must be rumpless (no tail) and have ear tufts. Ear tufts are clumps of feathers growing from small tabs of skin usually found at or near the region of the ear openings. This feature is unique in the U.S. to the Araucana breed. This trait is nearly always lethal to unhatched chicks when inherited from both parents. Tufted Araucanas, therefore, are always genetically impure, i.e., they don't breed true and will always produce a percentage of "clean-faced" offspring.

The Ameraucana breed, on the other hand, has a tail and sports muffs and beard in the facial area. These characteristics are true-breeding. Other requirements of both breeds may be found in the APA's Standard of Perfection and in the American Bantam Association's (ABA) Bantam Standard.

I got this from this website... http://www.ameraucana.org/index.html

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Ameraucanas do not come in that color. [​IMG]

8. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks all, I believe I have EE's. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by