Araucana- Are these the start of ear tufts or muffs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluckcluck42, Aug 22, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Here is a pic of one of my Araucanas. I have EE's and Ameraucanas and their muffs look similar to this guys. Do these look lie the start of ear tufts or are they just going to look like normal muffs?? They are much thicker than the ones on my EE'S. MUCH thicker.

Some of the Araucanas I have are rumpless, some have these tufts starting, and others have tails and are clean faced.

Also does anyone know how you sex Araucanas? At what age can I tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    I dont see any ear tufts [​IMG] im not sure what the standard there, in england (from what i remember) muffs are ok, here rumpless and bilaterally tufted is what is called for. Someone with more experience should pip up though [​IMG] as I havent had this breed in 10years.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's not an Araucana. It is an Easter Egger. Those are muffs and a beard. Also, that one there is not a recognized color.

This is what an Araucana face really should look like:

[​IMG]

There should be no fluff, but simply feathers that pillow out to the side or curl up. There should also be NO fluff or feathers under the beak.

4. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:That bird is gorgeous! Is it yours?? Those tufts are HUGE!

Where can I find the approved colours? I've been trying to find that out but so far no luck.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:That bird is gorgeous! Is it yours?? Those tufts are HUGE!

Where can I find the approved colours? I've been trying to find that out but so far no luck.

Yes, he's my man! [​IMG]

The APA recognized colors for LF Araucanas are White, Black, Gold Duckwing, Silver Duckwing, and Black Breasted Red. The Araucana club may have photos for each color.

My own man in the photo is not a recognized color for LF Araucanas, instead he's a splash - But he's still showable and everything else about him is right (except his feet are not purely willow colored, but only because splashes cannot have willow feet). He's still genuine. [​IMG]

6. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    If you google poultry swap ontario you will find a board simular to this but not quite as large yet. on there there are a few people who have real tufted non bearded Araucana's here in Ontario.

From the looks of yours they are like mine rumpless bearded easter eggers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:What a gorgeous bird! I would love to have one like that. Where did you get yours from? Thanks for the website info. Whereabouts in Ontario are you from? I am not too far from Ottawa.

8. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    I am outside of Kemptville south of Ottawa.

We picked up her mother and father at an auction in South Mountain a year and a half ago.

We have some young cockerals that she was the mother of that are also rumpless and muffed and bearded that are for sale if you are looking for a mate for yours. they are 12 weeks old

There is a auction on 18 Sept at the South Mountain Fairgrounds and one 19 Sept in Smith Falls.

My name on Poultry Swap Ontario is the same. You will notice there are lots of people from eastern ontario on there.

Here is the link to the American national club website

http://www.araucana.net/

And the Canadian site

http://members.shaw.ca/CanadianAraucanaSociety/

9. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:Oh I am going to the Renfrew sale on September 19th and the 18th is my bday so I won't be going to any auctions that day. It is too bad you are not going to the Renfrew Sale, it would have been nice to say hi. About the cockerals- How old are they? Can you send me some pics of the guys you have for sale? I am also on Poultry Swap, I will pm you from that site so you know who I am. [​IMG]

10. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I've got rumpless and semi-rumpless, bearded-muffed araucana X ameraucana right now. They are gorgeous peeps. They are out of wheaten and BW ameraucana hens with araucana roosters. No doubt girls will lay blue eggs and boys will pass it on!

BTW Canadians- I will be passing through Buffalo-Ontario just before our (USA) Thanksgiving to go visit family in Michigan. I can bring fertile eggs if any of my girls are still laying then for those interested. Either pure araucana, mixed with ameraucana, EE. Happy to meet you along your Provincial route. Contact me off line please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by