Araucana boy or girls

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ella1989, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ella1989

ella1989 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    hello i have 2 black araucana about 11 weeks which look identical thay both have tails of about a 45 degree angle but i don't know if they are boys or girls they both are only starting to get combs but one of theirs is a lot pinker red than the other please help pictures would be appreciated

(i don't think they are the rumpless type and sorry my cameras not working so i couldnt take any pictures)

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Well Araucanas ARE rumpless, by US standards anyway, so it they have tails and if they are solid black, then they would probably be Ameraucanas, but if they are some mixed looking color then they would be Easter Eggers. But its hard to help on the gender without pics.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What RAREROO said.

If they have tails, and you've got none without tails, I'm quite certain you have Easter Eggers. . . . Usually people from other countries who have tailed Araucanas wouldn't bring up the concern of them having tails, because it is a part of the standard over there to have a tail.

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Pics would be lovely. Did you buy them as araucanas from a breeder? Just because they have tails does not automatically make them un-araucanas. Several breeders have kept tails in their flocks to help offset the really short backs that araucanas can get when you breed rumpless birds to rumpless birds.

Araucanas can be difficult to tell sex when they are solid black untill they are a little bit older. I have had to wait untill saddle feathers started coming in on mine to be sure. I do have a black roo that started to get red in his shoulders at 2 months, that was a good indicator of sex as the girls wont get that.

I don't have pics that would show you the difference.

Lanae

5. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

What country are you in?

6. ella1989

ella1989 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    england and pictures will be coming soon

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The pics are all really tiny except for the first one. Too hard to tell just from that shot.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ah, then they are real Araucanas. [​IMG]

I'd say you have either two pullets, or, the pics are too small for me to otherwise say.

9. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    They look like araucanas by my standards lol, i have 2 lav pullets, where abouts did you get the black one's?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by