araucana breathing is labored

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeannieo, Jan 28, 2009.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Just about an hour ago I was in the coop and one of my 5 araucanas was making strange noises, like a goose honking and then she would shake her head and make a noise like a squeaky toy. in with the the 5 araucanas are 2 RIRs, 1 BO, 2 cochin hens, 1 cochin roo, 1 silkie roo, and a "hybrid" silkie and something else. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, everybody else picks on her. I brought her in the house and she is in a crate in the bathroom. I gave her water and some scratch but she is not eating or drinking. I don't know what her poo looks like yet. I have not administered any treatment, I am new to chickens and don't know what to do. I intend to bring her to my avian vet tomorrow if she makes it through the night. I can't bring her today, we are having freezing rain right now and my vet is 45 min. away on a good day.The area they have is about 8 x 8 and I have pine shavings and using the deep litter method. I feed 16% layer pellets and leftovers and scraps, no meat, we are vegetarian. They get a little scratch about every time I go to the coop if it is cold. HELP! (please?)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh gosh, Jeannie! I'll try to help a little but I am no expert at this. First of all, you did the right thing bringing her in where it's warm. Offer her other things that tempt sick chickens like apple sauce, scrambled egg or hard boiled egg, plain yogurt with hard boiled egg yolk and/or oatmeal in it. If she refuses to eat any of that, she IS sick! But, more importantly is to get water into her. Do you have any pedialyte or V & E (vitamins and electrolytes available at feed stores). If so, put some of that in her water. You can use an eye dropper to dribble the solution on the edge of her beak and see if she'll get any that way. Don't try to put the eye dropper in her mouth. She could aspirate from that. I think it's good you are taking her to the vet; that's what I usually end up doing when I have a very sick chicken and don't know what's wrong. It's expensive but, at least, you find out what you're dealing with and can treat the patient and, maybe, give the others something to ward off any more sickness according to the vet's instructions. I know many on here are not able, or choose not, to take their animals to the vet for one reason or another but the problem with treating these things yourself is that you are guessing what's wrong and may have to try various things to help the chicken; in the meantime, she's getting worse.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You've done good by separating her. I'm not sure what is wrong, but keep her warm and dry and maybe offer her something soft, like yogurt and/or scrambled eggs. Some apple cider vinegar with the mother of vinegar (sediment) in it should be in her water, a TBSP or two to a gallon. Let us know what the vet says.

4. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    I offered her a scrambled egg and she's not eating it but I think she is sort of stressed out by the strange surrounding and probably wondering where her peeps are! [​IMG] she's not honking so much but her breathing is still labored and her poo is runny. I do have an appt. with the avian vet tomorrow at 3:30. I hope she is still alive then! [​IMG] thanks so much for the input!

5. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    me again! [​IMG] I have some Bragg's ACV and will put some in her water. I'm going to try to get out of my driveway (long and steep, like a luge run right now! [​IMG]) and get her some cottage cheese. She LOVES that and if she doesn't eat that, she is really sick!

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]I agree with birdlover (and of course, ALWAYS with speckledhen). Water is the most important right now. I would add, though, that water is important enough that if it were me, I WOULD open her beak and get some, via syringe, into her mouth. I've had several sick ones over the years, and I've never lost one to aspiration by squirting small amounts of water into their mouths. I'm not saying this isn't a possibility, but if she's not drinking on her own, I believe you need to take a chance & get her hydrated.

BEST thing right now is to get some electrolytes and vitamins into her; if you don't have any on hand, most local feed stores have it. Mix it right into her water, and get as much of it as you can down her. GOOD LUCK - please keep us posted! Glad to hear you're taking her to the avian vet - that's always the best course of action!

7. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    yay!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] she's drinking water on her own! i got some apple juice pedialyte, cottage cheese and plain yogurt and was alternating trying to get stuff into her. I think she was just scared and would only eat or drink when I put it right on her beak. I had her out of the crate and then she started jumping up on things so I guess she feels better! [​IMG] I put her back in the crate with her juice yogurt (I decided cottage cheese might make her poo runnier) and water and she took 3 or 4 big drinks of water! will let you know what happens at the vets tomorrow. thank you so much for everything! [​IMG]

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh whew!!! That's great news! One less thing to worry about. You can offer her her regular food too. It won't hurt her.

9. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    I sprinkled some scratch (her favorite) on her scrambled egg and she ate quite a bit of it! [​IMG]

10. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    update! quickly cuz I'm getting ready for work but Annie is not honking or squeaking today! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    just had to put in all the happy faces I could find! still going to vet this afternoon but I think she's going to be all right. she's also eating and drinking. She may fake this honking and squeaking bit, I've given her "parrot quality" food i.e. sprouts, omelette, cottage cheese and wheat grass oh and baby spinach! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by