araucana breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pokey, Jan 11, 2011.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    For true araucanas,do you or would you breed birds that have a partial tail?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Some people do, some people don't. It often helps fertility and to some, though I don't know if it is true, it helps keep the vertebrae from shortening in numbers. Just remember that when doing this, you WILL get tailed Araucanas.

I honestly don't do it unless I have a project going in which I will not sell the offspring of until I know the tails are gone.

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Some do, some don't. I have a really nice double tufted splash roo with 4 tail feathers that are downward pointing. I use him. I do get partial tailed chicks out of him. The rest of my birds are rumpless. I have a nice tailed double tufted blue duckwing pullet that I probably wont use for breeding, but every once in a while I look at her and go, HMMM!. So we will see what I feel like in the spring.

Lanae

4. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Quote:How does the partial tail increase fertility?

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Depending on how much of a tail is there, it allows more balance and better aim during mating. That's often the reason rumpless birds in the first place have low fertility - It isn't as easy to mate without a tail.

6. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I don't mind a tail or partial tail at all if the bird is otherwise good. Tufts are hard to come by, correct feather color and leg color is also a reason I would use a tailed bird. If the bird doesn't have any redeeming qualities, I would cull.

7. cashdl

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    For me personally, I wouldn't breed two birds with partial tails together. If I was going to use a ( and I do) partially tailed bird, it would be in a pen with rumpless birds.

Lanae

8. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Anyone in Arkansas have any partial tailed Araucana's? I would so love to have a lack Breasted Red to put with my Easter Eggers. All I wqant to do is try to get some of the offspring of my hens to lay a blue(er) egg. Not very expensive either, I'm a cheapo that really wants it for personal use, not trying to sells anything.

9. cashdl

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    If I lived in your neck of the woods, I have 1 I would give you. He is beautiful. He has 1 extended tail feather but is rumpless and nice BBR. I hope you find someone in your area. Maybe try the araucana club. There should be someone there who has a cull that want to get rid of.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by