araucana chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jmcgee83, Nov 29, 2014.

1. jmcgee83

jmcgee83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky
    [​IMG]Was wondering what color this araucana chick will turn out to be? And if anyone can tell if it will be rumpless or if I'll just have to wait. Thanks![​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. FlockOfHens

FlockOfHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    South Louisiana :)
    I'll be back just 1 second...

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Your chick looks to have muffs, so I believe it is an Easter Egger and not a pure Araucana as in America, Araucanas do not have muffs. It is likely a mix with an Ameraucana, which has muffs, and a tail.
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

I've not had a rumpless breed, but you would have to wait to see if tail feathers grow in as all chicks are little balls of fluffs without any tail feathers. That begins to happen at about 2 to 3 weeks of age, with males taking longer to develop tail feathers. They won't be feathered in for some time, but you'll see the beginning of them then.

As to color...wow...that's a hard one as they can change so much. It does look to be on the lighter hue, so it may end up with a black and white pattern...or not...those tend to be lighter color tone patterns.

There is a great Easter Egger thread on BYC where some have posted pics of chicks and what they grew up to be.

My thoughts
    Lady of McCamley

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  5. jmcgee83

Mar 26, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky
    I ordered eggs from a reputable breeder. All they have are araucanas. Those are tufts. Not muffs. But thanks for the input.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure what color it is. However, I can tell you that you won't know whether it is truly rumpless for a few weeks.

7. jmcgee83

Mar 26, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky
    I'm thinking its either gold or silver duck wing. Thanks for the help.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If it's from a reputable breeder, the breeder should be able to tell you what color(s) they have. True breeders breed specific colors of their chosen breed and are very particular about keeping colors pure as a mixed color bird is little better than a mixed breed bird for their purposes.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Feel the tail area. If the tail bump is missing, it's rumpless.

If there is a total abrupt stop to the backbone, it's a total rumpless. If you feel either small bones or something like a bag with little bumps inside it may be a total rumpless or rumpless with a couple tail feathers.

If there's a good solid structure, of course it's going to be tailed.

All this is right from hatch.

1 person likes this.
  10. jmcgee83

Mar 26, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky
    contacted the breeder. They said its silver duck wing and looks to be rumpless. So I'm pretty excited!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by