Araucana chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Araucana Guy, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Araucana Guy

Araucana Guy New Egg

Oct 14, 2008
    I have 6 standard Araucana and 6 bantam chicks that are 8 weeks old. I live in northeast florida. When can i let them out with the others? I have 4 hens out back. Thanks for any help you guys have to offer.
    Robert

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I let my babies out at 1 month old, they hung around the mama for a few days and then she left them to forage by themselves and they did just fine. They found a nice hideout under a cedar tree which kept them safe from predators.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm assuming that you don't have these chicks with a hen?
    I would put them in a cage at first, so the bigger hens can't hurt them, for a while, to let the others get used to them.
    Do the others free range, or are they in a coop? If they are in a coop, put the young chicks cage inside the coop. If they free range, put the cage where the others hang out the most, out of the sun of course.
    But you definitely need to keep the babies safe, I would say for a few weeks at least. It would be good to have someplace for the babies to hide, where the others can't get to them, like a box or something they can get under.
    Just be sure to watch them once you do let them run together, to make sure the bigger hens aren't bullying too badly.

<edited for better organization! [​IMG] was kind of rambly!!)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by