Araucana Crosses - pics

fivehills

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
Southwest Missouri
I am just getting started with the true Araucana's and have 2 mature roosters and have hatched out 4 chicks and have more in the incubator now. In the meantime, my roosters have been living with my egg layers (Ameraucana and Maran hens) and I let them set some eggs a while back. I sorted them out and gave several to my friend who loves them all dearly. We had a trip planned and I didn't want to leave our son with too many to care for, the hatch rate was fantastic. There were 3 that I just couldn't part with so I left them in the pen and I am sooo pleased with them. I'm pretty sure they're all 3 pullets. They are all three fully rumpless and just the cutest chicks. The red one is my favorite so far. It got me to wondering, are there any others out there so I'll start by showing my 3 young pullets that are out of my clean faced, rumpless, true Araucana rooster, I'm not sure which chicks are out of maran hens and which were out of the ameraucana hens but it doesn't matter, they will lay pretty eggs to eat. I can't wait for my chicks to mature, hopefully some will be tufted pullets but as nice as my rooster is producing with non-araucana hens, I can only imagine what nice true, purebred chicks he will produce! The photo of the blue chick looks black but she's definitely blue in daylight. I took these pics in the barn this evening.

Please feel free to add your own photo's and information about your true Araucana crosses. Only the true Araucana cross please. I know they're rare and there may not be many people crossing them but while I wait to have pullets for my rooster, I'm really enjoying his mixed chicks.
66288_araucanacrossrumplessblack_aug2010_01.jpg

66288_araucanacrossrumplessblue_aug2010_01.jpg

66288_araucanacrossrumplessred_aug2010_01.jpg

19098_araucanas_8-21-2010_064.jpg

This was my EE X Araucana pullet. She died 3 days ago not sure why. I found her in the next box one morning and I have a feeling she suffocated when the other birds crowded in to sleep. I am having a hard time breaking the babies of sleeping in the next boxes.

I loved the fact that she was rumpless and muffed.

If you go to www.araucanasonline.com she has pics of an EE x araucana that has tail, muffs, and tufts. Pretty fierce looking.

Oh, I've always wanted some true Araucanas. I love your pics, even if they are mixed. That rumpless look is so cool. Good luck with the breeding.

Oh, and I wanted to just mention--could you cover the nest boxes at night to keep the younger ones out of them? Just a suggestion. I had the same problem too with my younger pullets, and I was so afraid, with this hot summer, that I would find a dead one in the morning. I think I was lucky......

Believe it or not, these are the cross from a tailed, clean faced Araucana and the little rooster in my avatar, a Kiki. This pair hatched from a pretty little blue egg.
11233_picture_120.jpg
11233_picture_119.jpg
and mom
11233_chickens_byc_004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom