Araucana egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Monstertone, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    My Araucanas just started laying, and the eggs are light brown. I thought the eggs were supposed to be olive green. Will the eggs eventually start being green as the chicken matures, or do some just lay brown eggs?

2. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Well, it sounds like you have Easter Eggers, which can lay green, brown, pink. And no they will not change color, they will always be brown.

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    OH that's a bummer. You definitely got EE's not Ameraucanas. Many hatcheries say they're Ameraucanas but they're not.

4. Monstertone

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Ahh, that is a bit of a bummer. Well, I guess I'm gonna have to get some Americaunas somewhere. I definitely want the green eggs...

5. eschwaderer

eschwaderer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Don't buy from the hatcheries. Find some breeders and ask questions. You'll know the ones who care about promoting the breed.

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    You can buy from hatcheries and get plenty of green, blue, pink, and other colored eggs. That is what EEs do best. It's just bad luck that you got ones that only lay brown, which can definitely happen. If you want show-quality purebreds, or you just want to support a small local breeder, then by all means do so, but I don't think it's right to say "don't buy from hatcheries."

And for the record, there are four different types of chicken we are talking about here. Araucanas are rumpless (no tails) and tufted birds that lay only blue eggs and are extremely rare and you would definitely have to find a great breeder to get some purbreds. Ameraucanas (no "i" in the word) are generally tailed, bearded and muffed birds that lay blue, green, or blur-green eggs. These are also not that easy to find in the purebred form and you would want to find a breeder. Then there is the Easter Egger which is a hybrid of Ameraucanas or Auraucanas and one or more other breeds. There is a definition for these and they cannot be just any mutt. Some people consider them useless mutts, but they are fun, hardy birds that lay all different colors of eggs including brown, blue, green, lavender, pink, and other shades. It's true you can't show them, but if you just want colored eggs, this is a perfectly fine choice. This is what you'll get from most of the big hatcheries when they sell you "Araucanas" or "Ameraucanas."

The fourth type is a true "mutt" that is not considered even an Easter Egger. These come mostly from backyard flocks, but you could get them from breeders and hatcheries, I supposed... who knows.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. Monstertone

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Thanks for all the great information! I always thought "Easter Eggers" was just a slang term for Arcaunas.

I'm looking for a breeder as I type this. I'd love to get some green eggs. If anyone knows of any that will ship a few birds to AZ, please let me know.

Thank you,

Tom

8. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
  9. Pluto

Pluto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    I wouldn't dispare too soon. Our Easter Eggers started with a light brown egg (only one was laying), then we got an olive green egg. I was so bummed because other people got the pretty "minty green eggs", and I was sure all three of my hens were laying. A week later I got one a minty green one, turns out of the hens was holding out.

10. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    If you want green eggs, then EE's are what you want, not true Ameraucanas. True Ameraucana's lay blue eggs. I ordered six EE's from Cackle last year and every one of them laid green. So, you may have better luck if you try EE's again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by