1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Araucana Eggs...how to tell if fertilized?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SugaryinMD, Dec 8, 2009.

1. SugaryinMD

SugaryinMD Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    Hi I have Araucana Chickens and a Roo..I wanted to hatch some chicks but I cant tell if the eggs are fertilized or not. I have tried candeling but the eggs are blue and green and I cant see through the shell. How do I tell? or do I just have to incubate the eggs and hope!

2. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:you can google for "fertile" and find some great pictures. here i'll do it right quick. pictures tell all
    be back with link in a few

3. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
  4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    You won't really see much to begin with, there is only a small white dot in the yoke...that sorta looks like a bulleye. However this is almost never seen by candling, only by opening the shell. that is why most people candle at 7 days to see the veins, and day 14-18.....Just to see the Developement and to check for duds before lockdown.

5. SugaryinMD

SugaryinMD Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    my question is...what do i use to see through the eggs shell? its darker then regular eggs

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You cannot tell if an egg is fertile by looking into it with a light unless it's been incubated almost a week. A slide projector light is a great candler, but you'll have to either break them open and look for the bullseye (not just the white dot, but a dot with a circle around it) and assume the rest are fertile or incubate six or seven days and candle.

7. 4CrazyGirlz

4CrazyGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    North East Texas
    I had dark chocolate maran eggs. I just bought a new flashlight at Walmart last week. It is a Coleman MAX and cost $25.00. It is small in size and 115 luminaries. It worked for my maran eggs so I would assume it will work for yours. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by