Araucana eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by minna, Feb 2, 2009.

1. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Does anyone have any or going to have any actual Araucana eggs. Not one single person around here knows the difference b/t EE's, Americanas and Araucana's. I bought an EE from a guy last week and tried to explain that he was not selling an Araucana or Ameraucana that it was an EE and that was fine with me, just wanted to let him know. He said they are the same thing and tried to show me a Cackly Hatchery book. [​IMG] I would love to get some real ones to show off and try to educate ppl. I actually wish I would have never learned the difference, b/c now it is getting on my nerves when ppl tell me I don't know anything. It doesn't matter if I have to wait, I'm not in any hurry. Considering how hard it is said to be to hatch and raise them, would it be better to buy day olds?

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I would order chicks. Araucana are hard to hatch. Jody (hinkjc) has beautiful true Araucana.

3. minna

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    That's what I started thinking. I would hate to order eggs and then mess them up. I don't want many, I will look Jody up and see if she has any coming available.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I don't know if Jody ships chicks or not. Yes, they are the hardest thing I have hatched.
    Also, Marans and More is selling chicks......
    good luck in your search [​IMG]

eta- the problem with shipping chicks you usually need a minimum (20-25 usually) to keep the chicks warm.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  5. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    also check w geareduplyn(i think that's the correct spelling) good luck!

6. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Jody ships chicks, I believe it is a 15 chick minimum.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Thanks Adam. I am not shipping chicks this year due to all of the projects we are working on. I am still offering eggs though and yes, they are difficult to hatch. If you can find someone to send you chicks, that is your best option.

I love hearing that folks are willing to educate. Good job!

8. minna

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    I'm going to keep looking for someone to ship chicks. I don't think I am ready to try to incubate a difficult breed get. I still am not comfortable with my ordinary ones. I would love to find someone without a limit. I don't want them for another few months, just wanted to get on a list, b/c I know they are rare. I don't think heat will be a problem in April.

9. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Good to know. [​IMG]

10. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Are you wanting LF or bantams?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by