Araucana eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cajun2010, Apr 11, 2011.

1. cajun2010

cajun2010 New Egg

Apr 11, 2011
    I am a first time hatcher. I have pure Araucana eggs and Araucana/White Crested Black Polish eggs. Today is day 21 and the Araucana/White Crested Black Polish eggs are hatching while none ot the pure Araucana eggs are. Any ideas?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I think pure Araucanas carry a lethal gene that makes breeding an hatching harder. Maybe a breeder will comment.

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Pure Araucana are incredibly difficult to hatch. Some has to do with a lethality associated with the tufting gene. If tufted to tufted parents are bred there is a 50% lethal rate before chicks hatch, and if tufted to non tufted parents are bred there is a 20% lethal rate. Add on top of that the fact that Araucana embryos are more delicate than other chickens, don't know why, but it is the case. I have pure araucana and breed tufted to non tufted. My hatch rate is generally pretty good for my own eggs hatched on site, about 95%. I do ship eggs to others and the hatching rate is about 25% on shipped eggs. Shipping eggs decreases viability significantly. Then there can be issues with fertility due to the lack of tail on the breeding birds.

So there are alot of reasons why the eggs aren't hatching. Also give them another couple of days. Always go to day 23 or 24 before you give up.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by