Araucana? Girl?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Red Rockn Chick, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Red Rockn Chick

Red Rockn Chick Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    This baby was sold to me as a pure Araucana. Also, Do I need to wait to eggs to really know? Think I have a female. What do you guys think on both? She/He is now around 5 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    No, not an Aracauna... and Ameraucanas actually are classified under strict varieties of color... due to the yellow beak and green legs, you have a beautiful Easter Egger... not seeing signs of cockerel either...

1 person likes this.
  3. Red Rockn Chick

Jun 15, 2016
    Thank you Ravyn!!! Yay!!!

So she has the ear tufts which already disqualifies her as an Ameraucana.

And she has a tail present, meaning that she is not an Auracana either.

She does seem to possibly meet the coloring for the Auranana APA standard "black breasted red wheatons as in cubalaya" coloring. Her feather and beak colors look like the references I found for the female Black Breasted red wheaton as in Cubalaya, right ??? reference: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Cuba/CubalaPr1.JPEG

I am so glad you could help me. Thank you!!!

I am so happy! I actually prefer having an EE as the egg colors mystery could be fun and I am not a breeder. yes!!! :D :D :D Can't wait to see the eggs and I will post her color when she is old enough. [​IMG]

4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Glad you are happy, lol... most don't take news like that quite so well... :D

And just for reference/clarification... she actually has muffs and beard like an Ameraucana, just wrong skin color and feather color for it...

Araucana tufts come out of a peduncle in a central small spot instead of spread across the cheeks... like this guy...

[​IMG]

Ameraucana with muffs and beard...

[​IMG]

And the closest to what her coloring looks like to me right now would be Red Pyle, I think... :)

5. Red Rockn Chick

Jun 15, 2016
    Thanks! Great to know.... I so cannot tell those things yet. LOL Such a noob here! XD
    Now I will go look up red pyle. LOL

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your little chick is an EE. Very cute too. congrats...:)

7. Red Rockn Chick

Jun 15, 2016
    HI Ravyn.

I loooooove the red pyle color... on our site, it appears that there are pure araucana breeders trying to get red pyle accepted too!!!... I also love the blue-wheaton color too. What is the difference between these colors?

Oh! and I ran across a coops and cages araucana description that follows:

"Common Breed Names: South American Rumpless, Araucan
    Alternative Breed Names: N/A
    Description:
    Araucanas originated in Chile. They lay blue eggs, have green legs and feet with yellow undersides. All of them have dark orange eyes and a red pea comb. Tailed Araucanas have a beard, crest, and muffling, but no ear tufts, while rumples Araucanas have ear tufts with the same size, thick beard and muffling, but no crest and tailbone. They are great foragers, hardy, and friendly."

I thought I was getting cleared up, but that kind of muddled me again.[​IMG]

8. Red Rockn Chick

Jun 15, 2016
    Thank you Chickens Really. :D
    I cannot wait to see how she turns out. <3

9. Red Rockn Chick

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Wanted to share a video of the three little chicks we had... ended up being 2 roos and a hen. All super sweet, though they were supposed to be pullets. LOL. Learning... :D XD
    RavynFallen, is this the Red Pyle?

PS sorry for the mess... videoed b4 cleaning.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  10. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Those are UK standards, they are different from US Araucanas... google the Araucana Club of America and look at the pics and standards descriptions on their website... that will clear a lot more up...
    My phone won't let me watch your vid... :/ But the little I can see from the beginning screen shot, I'd say not quite... rump area looks kinda like it's a very pale blue... red pyle has pure white base...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by