Araucana laying brown eggs???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Braxton Brigade, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    So my family bought our chickens about 2 weeks ago and love them... BUT I am unsure about why my hen is laying a brown egg. See we bought a flock that was all laying and full grown to avoid raising chicks inside, however we are supposed to have 2 Easter eggers, 2 white leghorns, 1 gold lace wyandotte and 1 rumpless and tuff less araucana (sorry if I misspell that). He told me we should get 2 green eggs, 2 brown and 2 white and we do, but I'm extremely confused about why our araucana lays brown eggs (sometimes with speckels). As I understand it she should not lay brown or white ever if she's a purebred... so why the brown eggs?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Are you sure that it's not one of the EE that is laying brown eggs?

3. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    if it's a real araucana (very rare and hard to come by) it would lay blue eggs. it is most likely a clean faced easter egger. I've gotten them clean faced before and heard of them laying brown eggs too

4. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    It would be odd. My araucana is my smallest hen (she's the youngest) and everyone else's eggs are almost double the size, That and she's 1 of 2 hens that lay in this specific box.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As Frankie R says if she is laying brown eggs she is not a purebred Araucana.

6. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    She's rumpless... can easter eggers be rumpless? I should post a picture of her later and see if we can sort this out haha.

7. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    That was my understanding of the breed... Would green eggs make her a purebred? (sorry for all the questions)

8. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    [​IMG] I got these eggs all the same day... Would that middle perhaps be considered a blue? I don't get those as often and I got 2 white that day ( the leghorns) 2 brown that one and a green. so I'm not sure about this all [​IMG] ( I have only 6 hens btw)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  9. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    As others have been saying if it lays brown its not a true Araucana. Sorry that you had to find out this far down the road. On the plus side, if she's a good layer, keep her! Theres no reason not to(unless you are very limited on space and want blue eggs only).

10. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless you actually watched your 'Araucana", "Aracana" "Anericauna" "Americana" lay a brown egg, I'd bet she laid the little light blue one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by