Araucana or EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bibliophile birds, May 31, 2010.

1. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

i bought 3 pullets at an Amish sale the other day that were marked Araucana (2 months old). i feel incline to trust the Amish, but i know this is a contentious/confusing issue so i want some opinions. 2 of the pullets have single feathers where a tail would be and one appears to be rumpless. none of them have tufts, but maybe those come in later?

rumpless on left, others on right
    [​IMG]

rumpless one
    [​IMG]

so, what do you think? Araucana or EE?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They are easter eggers. The one isn't tail-less it has just been pecked at.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I am thinking EE x Araucana mixes perhaps, which means you you still have some lovely EE's. I adore EE's, they are very steady and reliable layers, and generally sweet natured. Not to mention interesting and varied genetics. The feathering is gorgeous.

Uhm, no offense, but buying anything based upon someone's religious beliefs is no longer a trustworthy guideline. Last 3 Amish country hams I got were not good, certainly not up the the old standards. [​IMG]

4. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

darnit! i really really want some blue eggs! i have EEs already and i love them, but i was hoping to round out my egg colors... even as EEs they will be appreciated, but i was really hoping they were true Araucanas. [​IMG]

eta: i did notice a bit ago when i was outside with them that it looked like they were going to get some tail feathers... but i also noticed what looked like tufts beginning to form.

i know that eggs are either white or blue based and that the brown is an extra layer of color. so, if they were EE x Araucana, then there would be a chance at getting blue eggs still, right? if my genetics are right, i should be able to expect 1/2 green and 1/2 blue layers from an EE x Aruacana cross, so long as the EE has only one copy of the gene for brown eggs... right? if the EE has 2 copies of the gene for brown eggs, then all of them should lay green, i think.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Blue eggs are tied in with the comb. If they have a pea comb you will get blue based eggs.

My araucanas lay blue and blue/green eggs. My EE's lay beautiful blue eggs. Only 1 EE lays a pink egg and she has a straight comb.

6. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    EE's can lay blue eggs.I have 2- one lays blue eggs, one lays green eggs.

7. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    ive also seen on here that the ones with the slate colored legs carry the blue egg gene

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Love your avatar...I have an EE that has goldish head and has developed a gray beard. This one is shy...does not want to be held like one of the white EE's...she will let me turn her upside down and snuggles in and goes to sleep.'

9. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I think you still have a pretty good chance of having blue eggs. It's pretty difficult to predict egg color with any reliability once there is any mix involved. We have two laying EE's and one lays what I consider sea-foam green (but someone at work informed me it was blue) and the other lays green with a very slight olive tint. The two birds are different as night and day, except they have pea combs, and slate legs. I have been told that the comb really doesn't relate to egg color.
    We have three more EE's and I hope I get a true blue, a green and a pink out of them. We shall see, as one of them is starting to get some tail feathers that are slightly sickle-ish. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by