Araucana question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Stellar, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I hatched out from one batch of supposed Araucana bantam eggs 4 chicks. They are almost full grown now and are all hens. One is rumpless with tufts, the other 3 have tufts but have a tail. I was under the impression that araucana bantams don't have tails. I bought these eggs and they were not cheap first of all and I am a bit disappointed, even though the ones with tails are pretty too. Someone told me that if they get tails, they are Americauna bantams?? Now any advice would be appreciated so I can build a pen accordingly to separate breeds [​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    In my experience, tails are very common in Araucanas.

They do have a purpose in a breeding pen, better fertility due to the fact that the hen can raise her tail.

You need to use a rumpless roo over those tailed hens. Keep working at it and you will be able to pretty much eliminate the tails.

The tails on araucanas can be quite spectacular.

And it does not make them an Ameraucana.

Good luck moving forward.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree with nivtup. A show quality araucana will have two tufts and be rumpless, but a breeder quality ~50% percent or more who do not have tufts.

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    You are quite fortunate to get 4 tufted chicks out of 4 chicks. That should make you beyond happy. Getting tufts is harder than getting rid of tails. Breed your hens to rumpless tufted roos and seperate out anything that has a tail. Eventually you should end up with rumpless.

Lanae

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Ok great news [​IMG] Thanks!!! They are cuties I admit and very sweet. Here is an attempt photo. of my favorite two (with tails)

[​IMG]

Now I need to hatch some males then haha

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Those are not tufts, therefore they are not araucana. They look like easter eggers, which is basically a crossed ameraucana (since they have muffs/beard).

7. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Can you post a few front on pics cause from the back they look like they have muffs and beards and those are not araucana traits. Here is some pics of araucana chicks with tufts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lanae

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Ok muffs and beards..Easter Eggers...well they are pretty easter eggers [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I would be very upset if I bought eggs that were supposed to Araucanas and they turned out to be EE's. Especially if I paid a pretty penny for them. [​IMG]

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Agree, they are very pretty girls! [​IMG] I like the spotted one. It looks like it may turn out a mille fleur type coloring. Cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by