Araucana sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jaybanana, Dec 28, 2012.

1. jaybanana

jaybanana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2012
    Down Under
    I am in Australia, so I know that the requirements for araucana is different from in the US. I don't really care if they are araucana or not, coz they are free, BUT, I need help with sexing.

Sorry for the poor quality photo, I asked for photos and she sent a video, so I had to screen shot the video! I have a feeling they are both roosters, but I am a complete novice!

Chicken #1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chicken #2

[​IMG]

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

It looks to me like you have two roosters. Sorry, I know that is not what you want. Take a few more close up pics. Make sure to get clear shots of the saddle and hackle feathers. Ones from directly above may help, as well. Very nice birds, though!

3. jaybanana

Dec 20, 2012
    Down Under

They're beautiful aren't they?! I can't take my own photos, she is 45 mins away. And I don't think she'd be happy sending me more! I'm certain she knows they are roosters but is hoping someone will take them without realizing

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I suggest you pass on these two. Find some hens as they will be easier to keep, will give you eggs, and will be easy to rehome if needed. The same cannot be said for the roosters...

5. jaybanana

Dec 20, 2012
    Down Under

I text her back tonight and said I'd give them a miss. I have yet to see any araucana hens for sale anywhere near me. I don't specifically want araucana, just coloured eggs! Lots of RIR or australops!

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

So get a few of the brown egg layers until you find your EE's! [​IMG]

7. Draden11

Draden11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    Looks like they are roosters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by