Araucana Sexing

Pics

Claye

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Hello all
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when sexing my Araucana chickens? I think I have two hens but Im not sure.
Cheers

That might be old enough to see if they have red combs or not. If they have larger, red combs, they might be roos. I'm not sure, since they don't have tails, if they get pointy feathers near their tail area or not? But, that's another way to tell... or maybe by color? I know with Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers, you can tell the roosters because of their flashy bright colors, lots of red often. Females are usually much more muted in their colors.

Can you post pictures?

The sexy beast of a rooster next to the Araucana is King Henry the polish.
yuckyuck.gif
lol "sexy beast of a rooster," and great name

And they look like pullets to me, I see very rounded saddle feathers in the above photo. The second picture, we need a closer photo of the saddle area just above the tail to see if those feathers are pointed are not, though the way both chickens are behaving around your roo says hen to me so far.

He's a pretty rooster!

Are you asking about the whitish birds? I don't think they're Araucanas, they have tails? I'm not good at telling with white birds, and I can't really see their combs. Maybe they're pullets?

Back
Top Bottom