Araucana vs. ameraucana for blue eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DawnMarie74, Apr 7, 2011.

1. DawnMarie74

DawnMarie74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Hoschton
    I was just curious to know which of the two breeds (Araucana or ameraucana) lay a blue-er egg? I just bought some LF lavander ameraucana eggs and much to my surprise, the eggs were green, not blue. Is there a chance that the pullets from this hatch will lay blue eggs?

2. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Araucana's-pure bred-lay blue eggs. They are quite rare and if they are crossed with other breeds, the egg color changes. They are tuffed and rumpless. The best place to get a true Araucana is a breeder. They are in the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection and they can be exhibited.

Ameraucana's lay a blue egg in various shades of blue but they do lay blue eggs, they are muffed and bearded and are not rumpless. Also a rare breed, purebred Ameraucana's are in the Standard of Perfection and can be exhibited. Again, a breeder is the place to locate a true Ameraucana.

Easter Eggers, aka EE's are a hatchery "answer" to the Ameraucana and cannot be shown since they are not approved in the Standard-basically they are muts. It is easy to be confused between the Amerucana and the EE since since hatcheries have a tendency to call the EE and Americana (note the spelling). EE's lay blue or green eggs and sometimes other colors.

Green eggs are from the blue egg gene being crossed with the brown egg gene. According to the Standard of Perfection, Lavender is not a color recognized in Ameraucana's so you more then likely have EE eggs and not true Ameraucana eggs. IMO, your chicks will probably not lay a blue egg, but some EE's can lay a blue/bluish egg.

3. DawnMarie74

DawnMarie74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Hoschton
    To MustLoveHens, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I was eyeing some araucana eggs on ebay and some from an online breeder. I've been hesitant to buy because it seems to be a hard breed to hatch out, and I'm not that experienced at it. All I want is one or two blue egg layers to spruce up my egg basket. (and my quest goes on, lol)

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    There are auctions here from breeds of Ameraucana's I would try here they have some with really blue eggs. There is also a breeders list for Ameraucan's check there for some selling eggs. I have 3 bantam EE's they lay blue eggs.

5. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Quote:Another option if your in no hurry might be to go to a few chicken shows. You may be lucky and find an Araucana or Ameraucana breeder there. Then you can see the birds and talk to the breeder to see if he or she has any fertile eggs, chicks, or any just started. They also may know of other breeders in the area or rather "local" to the area that might have what you want. Also if there are no breeders there, you can ask around. More then likely, someone at the show will know someone who breeds them! I think I would be neat to try to hatch out some Araucana's. I love to incubate and hatch our eggs, but I understand your hesitation.

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We started with hatchery EEs and two of them did lay blue eggs. Now we have a tailed Aurcana rooster who hatched from a blue egg. ( I understand that tails are a recessive gene). We are hoping to get blue egg layers from the matings. We arent' showing, just want the blue eggs to continue!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have seen varying shades of blue from Ameraicanas - from a very vivid sky blue to blue green, but never a solid green like an EE lays. I have an olive egger and I have no idea which bird it is!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by