araucana

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by secretagent, Oct 24, 2010.

1. secretagent

secretagent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Hi guys,
    I am looking for some opinions please!
    We got 3 araucana hens a few days ago. 2 lavenders that are 20 weeks old and one white that is 16 weeks old.
    The two lavenders came from the same hatching batch. both are similar in size one however has a slightly redder comb. they both look like hens, nice and round.
    The white one is youngerr and her feathers on her head havent come through yet compared to the lavenders. she is smaller and slighter, walks taller but her tail generally goes out straight rather that curving up. her feet are bigger, or seem to be bigger than the lavenders too and her beak seems longer. maybe it's because of the lack of pigmentation that it looks that way, not sure.
    I hope these picture are decent enough to get some ideas of if she is a she or a he!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her comb looks redder in that picture than it is in real life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the group pic white looks bigger than the lavenders but it's just the angle of the photo, she is smaller.

I will try and get some good lavender pics later to see if people can confirm they are female!

Thank you!

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    The white one looks like a roo to me. Nothing totally specific other than the upright stance, the tail is different than the lavenders and its body is shaped a little different.

You must be in Europe. Your araucanas are different than ours. I think the difference is facinating. Your Araucanas have tails, muffs, and crests. I love the colorig on your lavender girls.

Lanae

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i dont think they are araucanas sorry..........

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:me two............... top is roo

5. JayDee

JayDee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    They are... the UK standard is different. Pics:

http://professorchickensbreeds.webs.com/araucanaorameraucana.htm

I'm Secret Agent's OH. I'm pretty convinced the white one -- er, Lily -- is more of a Billy. [​IMG]

But the lavenders are a different kettle of fish. One is bigger than the other, but neither look at all like what that page shows as a rooster. But one of them was making loud noises -- not exactly a cock-a-doodle-do but making some real noise. It also seems to be marginally larger than the other with a redder comb. Is definitely dominant -- always the first out, last in.

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I agree with cash. Your lavenders are beautiful. Love the muffs and crests!

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  8. secretagent

secretagent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are definitely Araucana's.

I will get some good pictures of the two lavenders tomorrow to see if people can confirm that both are girls.
    Thank you for replies!

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Araucana indeed. Love seeing the UK and NZ breeding. [​IMG]

The white one is a boy. The rest are girls.

10. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Illia dont forget about Australia... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by