1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Araucanas/Americanas Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by austrolover1, Jan 25, 2016.

1. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    I am interested in getting some of these birds in a few months; if anyone would post pictures of your Araucanas/Americanas, and comments about their temperament, etc. that would be great!!!!!!!

2. FowlStuff

FowlStuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Michigan
    Here is a link to an article that will help give you some information about Araucana and Ameraucana chickens along with a few photos.
    http://AmeraucanaAlliance.org/DnLd/Ameraucanas.pdf

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Be sure when you get your birds that you don't confuse Easter Eggers which are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers (such as Araucanas and Ameraucanas) with brown egg layers to produce offspring that lay eggs in some color other than just blue (usually some shade of green). Hatcheries and feed stores frequently and incorrectly market their Easter Eggers as Araucanas or Ameraucanas. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference between true Araucanas, true Ameraucanas, and EEs.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    x2 on what the other posters have said.
    There is no such breed as Americana. There is a breed called the Ameraucana and there is a breed called Araucana, but they are not the same thing at all. Then there are Easter Eggers, which also should not be confused with either true breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by