1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Araucanas Done For The Winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thomi, Oct 27, 2009.

1. thomi

thomi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Elgin, SC
    Hey all, our 8 month old girls are pretty much still giving us nice eggs here in South Carolina but we noticed we haven't seen an egg from one of our two EEs in nearly 3 weeks. The rest seem to be carrying on just fine with a little turn down in the daily numbers. Do the EEs require more daylight than the rest of girls? (BOs, BRs,RIRs,SLs' Lorps)

Thanks in advance

2. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting. My EE's are also laying far less than my BO's. Not sure why.

3. thomi

thomi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Elgin, SC
    Thanks Bygones. Are you using any artificial lights? We haven't turned anything on yet and they are usually up by 7 or so and back on the roost before 8 so they are right around 12 hours.

4. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Me too... my birdies aren't putting out the eggs anymore. I just might have to go to the store for eggs. I have two layers and Nothing for the last three days.

5. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    My EEs are laying better than any of my other right now. They are LF EEs so I am not sure if that makes a difference. Good thing they are too, cause I have two customers who buy eggs and will only buy the blue/green eggs.

6. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Our's have gone from 90% to 85%. Comparable to our RIR/BR/LOPS
    We just this week removed the shade cloth (used to help in heat dispersion from the coops) so the daily sunlight will be all natural for the rest of fall/winter and spring.
    No artificial lights used, costs money...

7. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    My EE laid all winter last year, except for a short time-out to moult. She is still one of my champs!

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    6/12 today and I still have 13 that have yet to lay. Free loaders I tell ya.

9. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Free loaders I tell ya.

Tell me about it. [​IMG]

I have pullets that hatched out from May and June who are not laying yet. I filtered out through all of my excess hens and sold them off... and now I get about 4 eggs a day from my coop. I think it has a lot to do with molting in my case, though. I actually had to go to the store to buy eggs the other day.

ETA: My dogs ate the ones I had set aside to take in. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
  10. Wanda

Wanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have 1 bantam EE'ger and she is molting so not laying right now but she is normally one of my most consistent layers.

Wanda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by