1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

araucanas? easter eggers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sablevulpe, Jul 14, 2010.

1. sablevulpe

sablevulpe In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Andover, MN
    I just realized there was an entire topic for ID'ing... Okay, the chicks are well feathered now, and I've figured out I have two lady Brahmas, two lady Orpington, one Orpington Roo, but these three were sold to me as Araucanas... I think I got the newbie sucker punch with Easter Eggers... any opinions? Also, the two darker ones are quite aggressive. Are they possibly Roos?
    [​IMG]
    The chicken below is the only one who actually BITES... will fit my whole finger in there if it can. He doesn't have a tail and has some of the duckwing irridescence on his/her wings.
    [​IMG]
    This is the gentlest little hen, please please say she's a hen. I think she's a vegetarian- she hasn't shown much interest in the bugs even when the rest of the crew is playing chicken rugby for a tasty beetle!
    [​IMG]
    On another note of the same song, one of my Orpingtons quite a bit darker, and has black feathers in her wings and tail, and slightly different color feet. Is she a mutt or just an expresive individual?

[​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The biter does look like an araunaca- but I'm not sure about the leg color. Araucanas- unlike ameraucanas- can have any color feathers and still be considered pure bred. Just not an accepted color. I would say if he's not pure he is at least part araucana- hence the rumplessness and comb. They can be clean faced like that.

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I would say EEs because of the tails, but the one without the tail could be an Araucana in my not so expert opinion. [​IMG] The biting one might be the Araucana. Your gentle hen is a hen as far as I can tell. The first pic, I'm assuming you're talking about the brown one, I can't tell because I'd need a closer headshot and leg shot to see if a roo.

The BO looks mixed to me but [​IMG], it might just be the lines. All the chickens look wonderful, though. I'd keep them in a heartbeat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: