araucanas? easter eggers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sablevulpe, Jul 14, 2010.

1. sablevulpe

sablevulpe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Andover, MN
    I just realized there was an entire topic for ID'ing... Okay, the chicks are well feathered now, and I've figured out I have two lady Brahmas, two lady Orpington, one Orpington Roo, but these three were sold to me as Araucanas... I think I got the newbie sucker punch with Easter Eggers... any opinions? Also, the two darker ones are quite aggressive. Are they possibly Roos?
    [​IMG]
    The chicken below is the only one who actually BITES... will fit my whole finger in there if it can. He doesn't have a tail and has some of the duckwing irridescence on his/her wings.
    [​IMG]
    This is the gentlest little hen, please please say she's a hen. I think she's a vegetarian- she hasn't shown much interest in the bugs even when the rest of the crew is playing chicken rugby for a tasty beetle!
    [​IMG]
    On another note of the same song, one of my Orpingtons quite a bit darker, and has black feathers in her wings and tail, and slightly different color feet. Is she a mutt or just an expresive individual?

[​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The biter does look like an araunaca- but I'm not sure about the leg color. Araucanas- unlike ameraucanas- can have any color feathers and still be considered pure bred. Just not an accepted color. I would say if he's not pure he is at least part araucana- hence the rumplessness and comb. They can be clean faced like that.

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I would say EEs because of the tails, but the one without the tail could be an Araucana in my not so expert opinion. [​IMG] The biting one might be the Araucana. Your gentle hen is a hen as far as I can tell. The first pic, I'm assuming you're talking about the brown one, I can't tell because I'd need a closer headshot and leg shot to see if a roo.

The BO looks mixed to me but [​IMG], it might just be the lines. All the chickens look wonderful, though. I'd keep them in a heartbeat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by