Araucanas not adjusting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PCallahan, Oct 22, 2013.

1. PCallahan

PCallahan New Egg

Apr 22, 2013
    The kids wanted to have some easter eggers, so we picked up two Araucanas over the weekend. We have been slowly integrating them in with time in the yard with the others, some alone time in the main coop, but overnighting just the two in a smaller coop. We did this with our Red Star and Cornish and it was a breeze. These two seem petrified all of the time. So much so they will not eat with the flock, so we have to let the others eat, put the rest back in the main coop, then feed the Araucanas. No eggs yet either.

Am I missing something I am not thinking of. Or do something differently?

Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's really tough to say without seeing your setup, how many other birds you're talking about and what breeds.

It's definitely traumatic for hens to be displaced and inserted into a flock they don't know. No eggs is understandable.

3. PCallahan

PCallahan New Egg

Apr 22, 2013
    We have 9 plus the new ones. So 11 total. We have 2 Rocks, 2 RI Reds, 1 Australorp, 1 New Hamp. Red, 1 Cornish, 1 Red Star. And a mixed breed rooster. Am I missing a step or is there a suggestion to try. We let the ladies, and gentleman, out for long periords to explore the yard as usual. I understand the no eggs as well.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would put any aggressive birds like the RIRs from the original flock into the temporary quarters and try to let the Araucanas get used to a smaller number of strangers. Then after a week put the others back.

It usually takes a couple weeks for new birds to start mingling. Sometimes they never do become fast friends.

5. PCallahan

PCallahan New Egg

Apr 22, 2013
    Thanks so much! We will give it a try this evening.

6. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    I have 6 production reds that were about 6 months old when we bought 2 EE . The PR tried to kill the EE but we seperated them. 4 months later the ee still keep their distance but they are SLOWLY mixin with the others

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by