Araucanas or Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DottieMarie, Apr 24, 2009.

1. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    Or is it 6 of one and half dozen of the other? I want to get a blue/green egg and I believe both of these breeds will do that for me. But what are the other differences? Is one friendlier than the other? Does one produce better than the other?
    Any insight would be appreciated.

Lisa

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If all you are wanting is the pretty green/blue eggs, and you don't care about breed, go for Easter Eggers. They lay better than Ameraucanas or Araucanas. If you want purebreds...that's a whole other discussion! If so, search on here and you'll find many, many, MANY threads about it! [​IMG]

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    There are also easter eggers which are what most feed stores label as ameraucanas. I think all three lay around the same. I have EE's and they are sweet and very friendly. My lead chick is one of my EE's.

4. DottieMarie

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    And I though EE was just another name for these breeds because of the colored eggs.
    I don't need pure breds, just pretty birds that lay eggs and I can fuss over.
    So the EE's are better producers? Now I just need to find a couple.
    Thanks!!

5. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    If you call your local feed store, they may have some. They're all pretty common.

6. DottieMarie

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    Thanks, I'll look into that tomorrow. All our eggs right now are brown (different variations) and I'd like to get some of the bluish green ones. I've never even seen them.

7. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    also what I was told was that most of the time the feedstores will advertise 'ameraucanas' when they aren't really pure bred, but rather Easter Eggers...

NEWBIE HERE, so I am just mentioning what someone else told me...you'd have to get some of these experts to confirm that for ya [​IMG]

8. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, if you call a feed store, ask for Americauna's. They're officially EE's, but not called that. This EE stuff is annoying as my 10 month old having me up already.

9. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    An EE is more or less an ameraucana or araucana that doesn't fit breed standards (so that is most hatchery birds), a ameraucana or araucana cross, or a mutt that puts out colored eggs (Green, Blue, Green Blue, Olive Green, Sea Green, Pink).

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like someone needs to do some reading....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by