Araucanas, Orpington, Wyandotte...any info ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by zekii, Nov 17, 2010.

1. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    We've been doing some reading...so many different breds, and lots of info for this newb to chickens to decipher.
    What can experts here tell me about these three breds ?
    Araucanas, Oprpinton, Wyandotte

We are in New Hampshire so need breds that could take weather extremes...also we want good egg layers, but also like the
    option of meat birds.

Cheers,
    Clint

[​IMG]

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I only own one of those breeds (Wyandotte), but I can tell you what conclusion I came to when I was researching breeds. I will tell you that I didn't give a lot of consideration to Araucanas, because they are much harder to find than most breeds, and certainly would be the hardest of the three you are looking at to find. When we were first looking at getting chickens, we thought about getting about 15 and harvesting about 10 of them leaving 5 for our laying flock over winter. At that time I was trying to decide between orpingtons and wyandottes and the conclusion I came to was that orps would be a slightly better meat bird. Both breeds are dual purpose, but orpingtons are a little meatier. Wyandottes however are a dual purpose breed and there are people out there who swear by the extra roos as meat birds plus they will be more cold-hardy having the rose comb than the orpington's single comb. We ended up not getting any orps because once my husband started adding up the cost of materials for a coop he decided that it would be too expensive to build a coop big enough for 10-15 birds and we changed our plans to keep a smaller flock of about 5 (which turned out to be 7). With raising extra birds for meat not really being feasible any more we were really just looking for a flock of colorful layers with a variety of egg colors and the wyandottes had a lot more color variety (and flashier varieties) available to us (we ended up going through a hatchery, so buff would be just about the only color option for orps).

3. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    We are in New Hampshire so need breds that could take weather extremes...also we want good egg layers, but
    like the option of meat birds.

Your answer: New Hampshire's​

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Great dual urpose that are winter hardy are the Delawares, Faverolles, and Dominique which are espescially yummy! [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well first, neither will give you a decent meat option if you go to a hatchery or feedstore. [​IMG]

That aside, true Araucanas (not Easter Eggers) are VERY cold, rain, snow, and heat hardy, very good foragers, very intelligent, quite broody (but not too much) and also good layers of beautiful blue eggs.

They're a little smaller than most other standard breeds, but pack in a lot of meat, especially at the chest. They offer more meat to live weight ratio than my Marans, Jersey Giants, and hatchery-quality Wyandottes or New Hampshires.

Hatchery type Wyandottes I will say right now are NOT a good dual purpose breed. New Hampshires are okay, and Orpingtons are about as good as Production Reds or Sex Links. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by