Araucanas stopped laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by macylee36, Mar 17, 2012.

1. macylee36

macylee36 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    I have two, not even a year old, Araucanas that have stopped laying. I haven't seen any eggs from them for over a week. I checked the yard for hiding spots and haven't found any. They don't appear to be sick. They are acting completely normal. They aren't molting either. But since I am not seeing eggs I am getting worried. What could be going on?

2. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    they could still be hiding them.... making a nest somewhere... I had a Buff Orpington laying her eggs under the barn.... I happened to see her coming out from under the building one day (it is raised up about 8 inches)... never thought too much about it.... a few days later I was greeted by her in the morning... I was just heading out to let them out.... she had spent the night on the nest I assume... lucky she never got eaten by predators....in looking under I found a nest with 19 eggs in it.... needless to say we blocked off the access after removing the eggs. I have also had them lay in empty garbage cans, in hay mounds in other building, in the compost pile... just about anywhere they feel like it... I am guessing with spring that might be what your girls are doing... happy hunting!!!

3. macylee36

Oct 31, 2011
    I have really looked everywhere I can think of. It's only a half acre yard! Under and in.....I kept them in the coop a couple days to make sure they were laying and no eggs...

4. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    are you sure they aren't going through even a partial molt?? keep an eye for any abnormal behavior... not sure otherwise

5. macylee36

Oct 31, 2011
    I'm pretty sure. The only one to do a molt so far has been my barred rock. The only thing I can think of is maybe the coop has been too warm???

6. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I had hens that quit laying for a year, after a coon attack. Could they have been scared badly by something? It doesn't seem to take much stress for them to stop laying for awhile. Do you have snakes in your area? They can eat whole eggs. How secure is your coop at night?

7. Could they possibly be eating the eggs? Are you getting eggs from any of your other girls? I'd check beaks for dried yolk matter.

Another possibility could be rats. Do you have them where you live? It's too cold yet for snakes to be out stealing eggs but they will from time to time, depending on the size of the eggs of course, and the size of the snakes.

Sometimes eggs get buried in the nesting material or the shavings on the floor if they decided to lay there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by