Araucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Annitu98, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Annitu98

Annitu98 New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    I have 5 Araucanas, two who have me completely stumped, two that I'm pretty positive I have their gender figured out, and one that I'm 100% sure is a hen.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #1) This one is 13/14 weeks old. One of the ones I'm not sure of because of the hackle feathers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #2) 13/14 weeks old as well, This one has a black comb, slightly larger than the first one. Again, hackles are throwing me off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #3) 13/14 weeks old. Pretty sure this one is a roo because of the comb size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #4) This one was thought to be a cockerel at 2/3 weeks of age. It is now 18 weeks old. Not crowing, the comb size is the same as the hen that is the same age, although this one has quite a bit more red on it's face.

Thoughts? Any input is appreciated!

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Comb color and size is generally the best indicator. Hackles can be deceiving as some hens have spiky looking hackles.

Only males will get saddle feathers, though.

But those don't come in until 6 months to 8 months with most breeds. If my memory serves, the Araucana is a slower developing breed for maturity.

So it is back to the comb color and size.

I agree you have one rooster, and I think the one in doubt, in the back, in the first photo, is male as well.

The 18 week old I'm thinking pullet.

I'm not an expert on Araucanas, so hopefully an expert will chip in for any color patterns that may give signs (such as male vs. female coloring hints).

LofMc

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    ...and

[​IMG]

4. Annitu98

Annitu98 New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    They are a breed that takes longer to develop, and the wait is killing me!! My husband just purchased me an additional 3 straight run for Christmas and so I'm anxious to see them develop as well! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 Lady of Mc

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    #1 is a Brown Red pullet. #2 is a Brown Red cockerel. His saddle feathers are just coming in where the red is on the back. #3 is also a Brown Red male. He's got the typical red shoulder patch. #4 is a Wheaten pullet.
    Rare colors for Araucana.

7. Annitu98

Annitu98 New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    . Thank you!! The saddle feathers on the questionable one just started coming in a lot more noticeable within the last week or so. :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by