Araucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Haley Brook Chickens, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Haley Brook Chickens

Haley Brook Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    The red one was purchased as a araucana, she lays one light green egg a day as of Nov 5. The white hen I was told it was a buff araucana and could lay a pink egg? I thought I would seek out the opinion of you lovely folks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Neither are Araucanas. Most Araucanas are rumpless and with ear tufts and quite rare. The yellow legs are one giveaway. They appear to be mixed breeds. And no one can guarantee what color egg they will lay, that being the case.
    Jody's site shows true Araucanas. They lay blue eggs, never pink(which are actually a shade of brown, not true pink).
    http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/araucana.htm

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Agreed, except for the comment about yellow legs. Araucanas do carry the yellow leg gene: willow legs for most varieties, yellow for white plumage.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You're right! I forgot the yellow legs on the whites, but still, neither of those are Araucanas.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Yep, not by any stretch of the imagination! This is an araucana: [​IMG]

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Neither are Araucanas. They look like mutts.

7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I am not any sort of expert but they look like Cubalayas to me. [​IMG]

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Both are mutts.

The comb on the first hen definately is a mixed straight comb, and the second appears to be that way.

The second one is a gorgeous hen!

If you'd like some help, I've made a video on the differences between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas. There are several good, thorough threads about the subject too.

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Nope, not cubalaya.

I do love the second hen. She's has a very beautiful plumage coloring. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by