araucanas

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by normiemc, Jul 28, 2014.

1. normiemc

normiemc New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    My hen has started laying however I am disappointed that her eggs are not green or blue but a whitish shade. Will more colour develop with age?

2. hamzaahvalli

hamzaahvalli Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    It may be possible. I do know that the color of the egg depends on the color of the ear lobe.if it is red, it will continue laying white eggs. If not, you may get a colorful basket after some time. I believe in the latter, and I hope someone more experienced replies.
    Good luck

3. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]. Not sure about when the color comes since I don't have one.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “whitish” shade. Are they bluish white or brownish white?

The base color of the eggs is genetic. Either the hen has a blue eggshell gene and lays a blue or green egg or she has all white eggshell genes and lays brown or white eggs. The basic color will not change. The hen makes the blue coloring by recycling dead red blood cells, using the same chemical process that turns bile green. The base color is blue. Green is just brown mixed with the blue.

The actual shade can change however. It’s pretty normal for the first eggs laid to be darker but the longer the hen lays the lighter the eggs become. That doesn’t always happen but it is pretty normal. But the base color, either blue/green or white/brown will not change. It’s like the hen stores up certain chemicals that affect the shade when she is not laying and gradually uses them up.

The first egg or two a hen lays can be a little different from her final product. Her internal egg laying factory is fairly complicated. Sometimes it takes a few eggs to get all the kinks worked out of her system. To me, it’s amazing how many get it right the first time. But by a few eggs she should start getting consistent.

By the way, there is no genetic link between earlobe color and egg shell color. The old rule of red earlobe means brown eggs and white ear lobe means white egg just doesn’t hold up. Through selective breeding many breeds have been developed that way but there are examples where it does not hold true. You can go through Henderson’s Breed Chart,
    http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html , and pick out several exceptions, Penedescenca and Phoenix being two side by side. This is just pure breeds. Once you start mixing breeds it can go anywhere. That earlobe/eggshell color thing is often repeated on this forum but it is just wrong. Sorry.

If your Araucana is not laying blue eggs, she is not a true Araucana. Blue eggs are a breed requirement. If you got her through a hatchery she is almost certainly what we call an Easter Egger, which is a mix of different breeds. I don’t know of any major hatchery that sells true Araucana or true Ameraucana.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by