Are 2 chicks lonely?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lyndatu, Dec 12, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    We got 2 new chicks and put them in a brooder. We're pretty confused on what their breeds are: Buff Orps of RIR's, but I'm sure we'll figure out as soon as they grow up [​IMG]

The 2 chicks look happy in their new home here at our's than at the shop(looked like a chick dungeon). We placed them on top of our other brooder of 3 week old cornishes. Cornishes are noisy so it might keep the 2 chicks company.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the chick looks very young and looks like a female(although not absolutely sure) so I named her Laura. The other one looks older and looks like a roo so I named him Rex. Rex seem to watch over Laura, while Laura always follow Rex around. But, when the cornishes are asleep, I almost hear no sound from the 2 chicks, only little chirps. When my cornishes were that young they weren't that quiet. Maybe they're alone. I think I can see some kind of sad face on them......but I might be wrong.....
    Are 2 chicks lonely? I know this isn't a necessary question but I want my chicks to be happy. They do seem to have fun walking around the brooder.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I think your two newest chicks will be just fine. It's great that they get along. Sometimes big families aren't all they're cracked up to be! (BTW, Laura is a fabulous name!)

3. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Two chicks will be fine. They just don't like to be alone.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    yes...lonely....need more!!!!!

5. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    I think they need ten or twenty little buddies in there with them!!!

Really, I had two chickens for a long time and they were very close and happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by