Are 2 out of 3 of my chicks roosters???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Baily, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Baily

Baily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I rescued 3 baby RIR's from a gas station trash can. They are now almost 4 months old and I am positive one is a roo and one is a hen. The one on top is Lyle (previously Lyla) he is the one I am positive about being a roo. The second picture is Louanne or Louie......still can't tell. These two have been fighting with each other lately while Lola sits back and watches. Can anyone help me to figure out the sexes for sure?

Thank you :)

[​IMG]
    This is Lola!!!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If that is a thin pointy saddle feather I see, I'd bet on Louie. He's also got some big thick legs. If it's not a pointy saddle feather, it may be a maturing hen with increasing levels of hormones in preparation to lay an egg although it's a bit early for that.

3. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    yess i agree with two out of three are roosters

4. Birde

Birde Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    What you have #1 is a Red rooster. The other 2 are buck eye, rooster & hen. Buckeye is a heavier breed of Rhode Island red

5. Baily

Baily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Thank you for all of your input, I am already so attached to all 3 of them and I can't have roosters where I live :( I don't want them to end up as someone's dinner!

6. Baily

Baily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    None of them have developed their spurs yet, at about what age do they usually appear?

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I agree, the first 2 pictures are of cockerels, the third one is a pullet. Hens roosters both get spurs, you will see little nubs and they grow rather fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by