Are 2 roos too many?

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
I just read another post about keeping 2 roos with 10 hens, that I wouldn't do, but what about 2 with 16?
I have 3 EE roos, and finally came up with the winner of the 3 as a def keeper, but considered keeping the runner up
as well. I don't want any squabbles, though. They free range all day, and so far I see no violence..#3 roo always runs from
the "master of the coop", but no issues with the #2.

I don't want the girls beat up, or the roos, they are 16 weeks now. I do see a few of the hens that will go back at the roo when he snaps at them, and bites them.
So he knows his place as well!

Advice!?

Quote:
In my opinion.. 2 for 16 is fine.. especially since they free range during the day as do mine. I have several roosters but I have a larger flock. Helps with the "eyes to the sky" flock safety issue. I would say keep the two..

Shelly

Quote:
All you can do is try. I had 1 roo with 10 girls and that seemed like too many! he was rough and the hens were starting to get torn up! I got rid of him and gave the girls a 6 month reprieve:) If it looks like 2 roos are just too many -get rid of one more roo:(

My 2 roos sqable a little, but there is no damage done since they have enough space. I have 16 hens as well as many pullets(neither has tried to mate with the youngsters yet) and it works for me. Plus it's good to have a "back up".

i have two with 18 hens/pullets. One is definitely the dominant one. The other stays away from him. But really it has not been a problem. They are in a large run. about 30x50
They do roost together.

I have 4 with 20 some odd hens and they are all good. We are in the process of getting rid of 2 of them but no one really wants a rooster in my area. I was really worried that there would be a lot of conflicts because one of the roosters is older and the other 3 were raised together, Henry is a year old and the other 3 are 7 months. The only issue we have had is that they all have a favorite hen. She wears a saddle and we are trying to figure out what to do with her at the moment. Over 20 hens and they all want the same one
hmm.png
They all get along and the 3 younger ones know when Henry wants them to leave all the girls alone and have never had an issue with fighting (hubby has the grill ready for the first fight) So I say keep the 2 and see how it works out. You can always give one away if it doesn't work out but you can't always bring another one in and know how they are going to get along.

Back
Top Bottom