Are 22 chickens too much for one Roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bulldog-girl, Mar 5, 2009.

1. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I got a roo by default, and so far my DH has let me keep him. He is pretty laid back and does not crow too much.

My question is, I have 22 girls. I can't get another roo. so far they are treating him well. I am not hatching so I don't really need a roo. He gets alone well with the girls. Will that many girls cause him to "burn out"? I would rather re home him if that is more than he can handle. He is doing his "roo duties" although he is a bit of a fraidy cat. I don't mind that though.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He'll be fine. I have two roosters, brothers, in with close to 40 girls and the alpha rooster wants them all for himself. Im sure that eventually, if I removed his brother, that fertility would go down, but if you aren't worried about that, he'll be in hen heaven!

3. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I bet he's thinking life is good....[​IMG]

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Max ratio for good fertile eggs is 10-12 to 1. If you ever want to hatch any of his eggs just pick about 10 of your best hens and pen him with them while you collect the eggs you need. Otherwise, many women is good for him.

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have 20 hens and 1 roo and all is well. He does a great job taking care of his ladies. I would keep him. [​IMG]

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:If you don't need high fertility rate or any fertility, your roo will be fine.
    He will not get "overworked", he will just pick as many girls to service as he pleases.

Animals go by instinct and body ability, not by greed, quotas or ambitions like humans

LOL

7. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    He would probably spur himself if he had to listen to all those hens squalk about their feelings.

8. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    It should be fine. I have 20 girls and one rooster. The only time I notice that it might be challenging is when I let them free range. He works SUPER hard to keep tabs on the flock, and is constantly running around to keep girls from wandering too far and pay attention to predators. He doesn't eat a whole lot when the flock is out.

Good luck!
    -C

Quote:

9. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Chauntecleer's Keeper :

He would probably spur himself if he had to listen to all those hens squalk about their feelings.

But the very fact that he'd spur himself points out that he does indeed have feelings....​

10. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    He doesn't crow that much because he's TIRED!!!!!!![​IMG]
    Did I just say that out loud?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by