are 3 roosters too many?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I've got 3 roosters in with our 12 hens. We used to have 4 but we lost 1 due to the heat last week. Is it a bad thing to have that many roos? They seem to get along with each other. Will that last or will they turn on each other. I've got 1 Light Brahama and 2 Ameracaunas.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I would say yes...I have 3 roos and 16 pullets, I will be getting rid of one this week...too many can lead to over breeding and abuse of the girls.
    A rule of thumb I keep hearing is 1 roo to 10 girls, OR if they are gentle natured...2 to say 15 girls.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they are injuring or abusing the hens, then 3 roosters are too many. The stress caused by over breeding chasing and fighting can dramatically lower egg production.

4. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Three roosters are to many. They will end up over breeding the hens.I used to have three roosters with six hens but then wants they started trying to breed I got rid of all of them and got more chicks lol. Good luck!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I had too many roos too. They were fine until the testosterone started flowing, then they started fighting, so I separated them and gave them each a dozen girls. Now I have 3 boys in with 24 girls but they aren't old enough to breed yet but when they are I will put 8 girls with each boy. I have another boy in with 9 girls and I just sold several roos including my 2 older breeders as I decided I wasn't going to use them as breeders any more and I want a new gene pool. I also have some chicks that are about 50/50 cockerel and pullets. I will keep one of the males but the rest will have to go. I do have my birds separated into age groups too. Good luck!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by