Are 4 1/2 week old chicks too young to move out of the brooder?

susanah

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2009
It's mid to high 80's daytime and mid to high seventies at night here. But it has been raining a decent amount. But the brooder is in the house and it is starting to smell even cleaning it out every day.

Can you put a low watt heat lamp in the coop? At 4.5 wks my chicks were in a brooder outside in my garage and I still had a heat lamp but I was only giving it at night.

Yes, I can do that. Do you think rain during the day would be an issue? I didn't know if they could regulate body temp well at that age. It would be in the 80's but wet.

My lot, BR's went out to their coop 2 weeks ago at 3 weeks old, No light or heat. Had to put a fan on them during that heat wave, fed cold yogurt in the heat of the day, and changed their water every 1-2 hours, They are now 5 weeks and doing great! Had no problems with the move and my temps, after the heat wave, dropped to 75 avg days and 55 avg nights. I just close the windows, a bit before it starts cooling down for the night, since we don't have the shakes and trim on yet, till the run is done, it has plenty of ventilation!!!

What breed do you have? How are they doing feathering out?

Mine are large fowl, dual purpose and are cold hardy. Only had heat on them for about a week and they never did like the 90-95 degree suggested. I would be leary to put a heat lamp in the coop.

At 4.5 weeks old, that's older than when my lot when out, I live in way northern New Hampshire, at the top of a mountain.

It's up to you, but it is summer, so not quite the same as brooding during the spring or colder months. As long as you can keep them dry, the rain should not be an issue.

Mine are still in their coop, as the run isn't finished, but we have had ton a rain here too, lately...so far, all is good here!!!

Best of luck
smile.png

They are standard Easter Eggers. I was concerned about letting them stay in the run if it rains. Not sure they are smart enough to get in out of the rain. Most of the way feathered out but not completely.

i would always leave chicks at that age out of the weather. if you do proble use a lower wattege heat lamp. when the feathers are fully in you can take the heat lamp away

Mine didn't have all their feathers either, especially the cockerels. I don't know much about EE's, but I can tell you, mamma chicken will take them out in all kinds of weather, at day 1-2. If you decide to put them in their coop, I would suggest not letting them in the run for atleast 2 weeks, or more, so they will imprint that the coop is their home!

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

If you decide to put them into the coop it's recommended that you leave them in the coop constantly for at least 3 days or so. This will allow the chicks to see the coop as "home" and help them come into the coop at night instead of sleeping in a corner of the run.

If it were me I would leave them locked into the coop for 1 week, give them time to grow a bit more and bond with the coop, and then let them into the run during the days.

Back
Top Bottom