Are 6 Toes A Dominant Gene In Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Wolf Queen, Jan 12, 2010.

1. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have a really handsome Splash silkie roo I want to use for breeding in my silkie flock but he has 6 toes. Is this a dominant gene or is it just a flaw in some birds and can the problem be eliminated if I only keep birds with 5 toes. For instance if I get a son from him that has 5 toes each foot.

2. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Anyone know?

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Six toes on EACH foot!? You know we all love pictures, especially of weird things. I don't kknow the answer to your question. I know people complain about not having enough toes on their Silkies....

Did you know that having six fingers on one hand is dominant in humans? Not many have it, so it's rarely passed on.

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    it seems like a mutation or a genetic mistake 6 toes are not normal for silkies 5 toes however are normal. idk if you breed him to a 5 toe per foot silkie if you would get another 5 toe per foot silkie you may end up with 6 toes on one foot and 5 on the other or maybe even silkies with 6 on both.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It is an odd mutation/quirk of the polydactyly gene. Five toes are normal. I would certainly not breed two six-toed birds together, but would be willing to breed to a five-toes or even t a 4-toed one. It really depends, though on whether you have a better breeding choice.

6. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ok guys thanks and catwalk I temporarily dont have a way to get a pic on here cuz my dagum printer needs to be replaced (sigh) when does mom get payed again lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by