Are adults calmer and more friendly than chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kat salamon, Feb 26, 2017.

1. kat salamon

kat salamon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern California
    We have 8 chickens (2 roosters and 6 hens). They are about 7 weeks. We have Rhode Island Reds and Barred Plymouth Rocks. They run away from us like crazy. Will they get less freaked out by us as they get older? Thanks!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    They might be skittish as adults too if they're truly running from you in a panic, but chicks can go through an "everything is trying to kill me!" phase.

Try to win them over with treats! I start mine young and feed them a bit of scrambled egg by hand each day. Within a couple days they are running to meet me at the brooder edge to see if I'm bringing them a treat. They swarm my hand and climb all over me when I stick it in the brooder. They're happy to be scooped up from below and held (they will run a little if I try to grab them from above since they instinctually fear things coming at them from above but they don't put up a fuss once I've got them).

So try out some treats and see how that goes. Here's one of my current batch contentedly sitting in my hand.

[​IMG]

3. kat salamon

kat salamon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern California
    Great idea, thanks! Mine are already 7 weeks but I will start working on this tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by