Are aggressive roos even agressive as babies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bearcat73, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I have fifteen 3 week old Ameraucanas. One of them just HAS to be a roo, I just know it. Everytime I pick up a chick (and they ALWAYS cry like I am killing them) he runs up close to my hand and watches...but all the others are running and hiding. He hasn't tried attacking or anything but he is very concerned for the chick I picked up. lol It's actually quite cute.

I am just wondering if, from experience, you've noticed that aggressive roos were aggressive even when they were quite young.

He's been doing this since a week old.

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine were not that protective until about 18 weeks old.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I had this really really nice black silkie chick who would come fly into my lap and have chats with me whenever I was in the coop, such a nice little bird in till about 7 months now he's a big rooster meany. LOL !!! Doesnt bother me since he is like 1 foot big but whenever I open the coop door he comes running over and does the rooster dance (I tell him he better watch it or he's gonna fall out the coop and the dogs gonna get him) If I wasnt 7 months preggo I would catch him and hold him (just to much work being fat) But he was the nicest baby. I think it all depends on the bird/breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by