Are all Bantam Cochins Roos Mean???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by antiquebuff, Jun 7, 2008.

1. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    We have a Bantam Cochin Roo that is soooo mean! [​IMG]
    We can't go near the hen houses without being attacked. We have tried all the suggestions we have read on this forum and nothing helps. We also have a young Roo, same kind, that is 4 months old and he is acting the same way. We had to take him away from the hens because he was trying to kill them! I know they are supposed to protect but he is attacking the hens also. He almost killed my Sultan hen! [​IMG] Is this a trait for the Bantam Cochins??? We hate to part with them, esp the young one because I raised him from the incubator but I don't want the hens and roos killed. Thanks for help and advice!

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have two bantam cochin roos that are best buddies and are so sweet to us humans and to all the other chickens. I won't keep a mean roo...they're too many good ones out there.

3. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    I think that cochins tend to be fairly calm tame chickens. We had 2 bantim cochins a long time ago and they never were mean with us. They would fight amongst them selfs a little bit though.

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I am no expert but I think it depends on the rooster. I mean I havent had a run in with a mean roo yet and hope not to ever have a run in with a mean roo. Lucky me now watch one of my roos trun on me for saying this LOL!

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I have had many bantam cochin roos and not a one was mean. Actually they are more like pets. My grandkids spent a lot of time playing with them and hand feeding them treats. The ones I used for breeding were very good to their hens and never felt a human was a threat. Maybe you have a bad strain of cochins. They are known for being gentle birds.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mine is, but I blame it on myself. I believe that if I had handled him more as a chick and established myself as head roo early on, he wouldn't be that way. He's still around because he's great to his girls. He has improved a lot but I wouldn't put a child in the run with him.

7. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I have had both. I have one bantam cochin that is absolutely a love. My kids can pick him up and love him, and he follows me around the yard. OTOH, I have one that is just a little brat. Always after the hens, always trying to get away with something. Then I had one that was outright evil. He is gone now. Wasn't even four months old and he charged my son, for no reason at all. I refuse to keep a mean animal, especially with my kids here. If you ahve already tried everything, get rid of him.
    Rachel

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I agree

9. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks for all the reply s. I thought the same , they were supposed to be mild mannered but these two are not. The 4 month old has been so sweet up until the last few days. Its a good thing they are small and can't do too much damage , that is , if you see them coming! I have another one that is not showing these signs yet. Maybe I can keep him! I have been coming back from the hen houses looking like I have been in a battle! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by