Are all Delawares jerks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensducks&agoose, Apr 9, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a bunch of delawares, and had to give away both roosters because they were such jerks, attacking my kids, knocking them down and making them bleed... I gave away 2 hens because they were also aggressive and nasty... biting me when I went to feed them, freaking out if I went into the same AREA of the pen with them... Is this just the bunch of chicks that I got? or is it a general delaware thing?

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Delawares are usually a docile breed, especially the hens. Any breed of rooster is capable of being mean.

3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    No, all Delawares are not jerks. Some strains of hatchery Delawares have a tendency to be aggressive, though. And any individual male can turn aggressive past the chick stage. Generally, though, breeder Dels are pretty mellow. And, historically, Delawares were known for their friendly and calm disposition. Too bad that's not always true now. [​IMG]

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I hope they're not all jerks. I just got 3 chicks from Privett.

5. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    Not mine, but she won't stop talking either. She'll follow you around the coop bawcking away, whether you're listening or not.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hatchery stock is rather sketchy, temperament wise, as well as in other ways. I have a bunch of awesome high quality Delawares now, but Janet had to convince me to hatch them after my horrible experience with hatchery stock. These are almost a different breed.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    My MMM hatchery Delawares are aggressive feather pickers when they get cooped up indoors, and LOUD! They are great with people, though, have tons of personality, and are very funny.

I really like the breed, and may in the future get more from a breeder. But I wouldn't order hatchery stock again.

Erika

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I for one hope they are not jerks. I have a bunch of Del eggs in the bator right now..

..jiminwisc........

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  9. motherbear

motherbear Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    CA Gold Country
    Sorry about your experience. We have just one Del from our local feed store and she is by far EVERYONE'S favorite hen. Very good natured and friendly. Wish we'd gotten more.

10. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Definately not. Mine are the sweetest things ever. They follow me around like puppies. You should see me going to the mail box with dozen chickens and two dogs lined up behind me like a barnyard parade.

They aren't flighty, rather they're super curious and sometimes can be too underfoot.

Like Janet said, any roo can be agressive after the hormones set in. I've seen some silkie roos that were mean as the devil and they're supposed to be the sweetest birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by