Are all EEs really mutts?

3littlebirds

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Do purebred Ameraucanas sometimes produce offspring that don't fit the breed standard, causing them to be classified as Easter Eggers? Or does an Ameraucana with, say, green colored legs have to have been crossed with something else somewhere down the line?

Pretty much.
smile.png

Well most people I've talked to/ places I've read say anything that doesn't perfectly fit the Araucana or Ameraucana standard is an Easter Egger. So could a bird bred from pure Ameraucanas have green legs (making it an EE) or is this gene not carried in pure Ameraucana lines?

I consider an EE to be a nonstandard Ameraucana (could be pure, but bad color) or an Ameraucana crossed to something else (typically the cross to something else is what produces the green legs). I do not consider any form of an Araucana to be an EE, since EEs have muffs and beards (or should have them). Others consider any blue egg cross an EE.

EE's are mutts but can be a planned mutt like a laberdoodle
big_smile.png
I'm breeding some of those mutts for a purpose now and am getting them to breed true genetically-not going to say what cross it is right now
idunno.gif
I have no plans to call them Ameraucana and may give them their own name. I also throw my extra Ameraucana's together and get what I call Gourmet EE's you know 100% they will lay blue or green since there is no outcross blood but they are not of color standard to be an Ameraucana

Quote:
No. An EE is a cross breed. An Ameraucana not to standard is an Ameraucana with a fault, not an EE.

A Non-standard Aneraucana is a EE..

Quote:
http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html#TWO

Chris

That is fine if you want to breed a slew of ameraucana to find out of they breed true at least 50% of the time...

The term Easter Egger came from a cross of an Ameraucana and or a cross of an Araucana that can lay and blue, blue tinted, green and green tinted eggs...they have no standard leg color, feather color etc etc. If you breed two different colored Ameraucana, the resulting color could be called an EE in some circles because it is not a standard Ameraucana color, I disagree with that thinking.

I am happy the Ameraucana Breeders Club think they have it figured out...sadly they do not. The breeders club is tossing their standard lacking Ameraucana into the class of an EE which makes them feel better I guess. Ameraucana should lay a blue egg an EE can lay a range of colors.

An EE is a mutt plain and simple. You cannot standardize a cross. An Ameraucana is a standardized breed not a cross.

That is as ridiculous as that nonsense I recently heard when I wanted to cross my splash Orp with my splash cochin and someone said "Ooooooh you are going to breed a feather legged feathered footed orpington". No I would be breeding a MUTT...an orpington crossed with another breed is a mutt not a orpington. An orpington crossed with orpington is still an orpington....the color may not be standard but it is still an orpington.

Last edited:
ALL 3 came from the same place. Ameraucanas and Araucana came from what people call Easter eggers now. The EE's were around BEFORE the other two were developed.

If they don't meet the standard, then most people would call them EE's. Ameraucanas for instance only have certain colors they accept. (8 total)

What some people call a mutt is one that does not fit into the Ameraucanas and Araucana standard. It can also (here's the confusion) be mixed with something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameraucana

Back
Top Bottom