Are ALL geese aggresive??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Morri, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    I want to get a goose and hand raise it to keep with my ducks, but mum thinks they are all aggressive and will attack kids!?!?! SO if i hand raise one will it be tame and non aggressive??? Thanks [​IMG]

2. kawonu

kawonu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Western North Carolina
    Not all are aggressive. Hand raise one from a day old and you should be fine.

3. Morri

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks for that!! [​IMG] what breed people suggest to keep, are some more social towards humans than others?? Thanks [​IMG]

4. kawonu

kawonu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Western North Carolina
    We have Africans, a pilgrim, a China, and Pomeranians. The friendliest are the Africans, but I hand raised most of them. The Chinas are pretty social too.

5. Morri

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks your very helpfull!! [​IMG] Which are the most common breed?? I have only started looking, going to the poultry auctions on sunday to see whats out there!! SO whats the most available/cheepest?? Thanks!!! [​IMG]

6. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    We've had Toulouse geese, and both the male & female were very nice. I'd feed them out of my hand, and they were always first to greet us. We've also had embden geese, and they were also nice, no problems ever. My Toulouse were also very good parents. She would set and he'd stay with her, making sure nothing got her. He'd do the snake head when she was setting, but I'd tell him to quit it, and he'd still be a protective hubby, but never tried to flog or even pinch us. Here's a pic...

[​IMG]

7. Morri

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks very much you guys !! You have been very helpfull and I love the pic!! makes me want them more lol just one last question what time of year do they lay and how much is it normally for 1 doz fertile eggs?? Thanks !! [​IMG]

8. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Handraised females usually stay calm and nice, during breeding season all bets are off from my experience, handraised or not.

Have an african gander right now, handraised. Daily cuddle sessions before work, loves to be carried around. Cuddle session yesterday morning turned from preening my clothes into holding on and beating me with his wings...... spring is coming and he is alpha. Carried him around a bit all the while holding his head because he kept on biting me..... he was such a sweetheart and probably will be again once breeding season is done.

9. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    My buff american gander is usually quite nice to be around UNTIL babies hatch. During breeding season he will go after strangers, but not me or my husband.

Breeding season is when they get nasty, and they are simply trying to protect their mate.

10. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    My Embden gander is mean to us but our goose is very sweet and they were both hand raised.

Noah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by