1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are All Marans Eggs Supposed to be Dark Brown?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wsdareme, Feb 3, 2011.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I have a Silver Cuckoo Marans, Black Copper Marans, Splash Marans, and Blue Marans hens. I am only getting a really dark egg from the BCM (I know because I kept an eye on her in the nest box and took the egg out after she left). The SCM was a hatchery bird, so I'm not expecting as dark an egg from her. But I raised the Splash and Blue from eggs, very dark brown eggs. Shouldn't their eggs be really dark brown, too? I'm getting a copper egg or two, but only one really dark egg.

Is it only the BCMs that lay the really dark eggs?

I just set 7 eggs from the BCM in my Brinsea:
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo of the BCM egg on the right, next to some unknown copper eggs. Maybe the other Marans?
    [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Naturally all Marans should lay dark eggs, however in most cases Blue, Black, and Splash Marans do not lay the best color of egg. Silver Cuckoo Marans are also very poor colored egg layers if from a hatchery, if not, they can vary.

Black Coppers in most cases beat all other colors, however Wheatens and Blue Wheatens as well as Blue Coppers follow behind very closely. A couple of the eggs in my avatar are from Wheaten Marans. [​IMG]

4. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Thanks. I have tried in the past to post questions on that thread, and I haven't had much luck getting them answered. I was hoping, since I don't have a good understanding of Marans and Marans genetics and such, that I could post it here. I feel like I should know more about Marans to participate in that thread.

5. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Quote:Thanks. I have tried in the past to post questions on that thread, and I haven't had much luck getting them answered. I was hoping, since I don't have a good understanding of Marans and Marans genetics and such, that I could post it here. I feel like I should know more about Marans to participate in that thread.

I've had that impression to! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by