1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are all my new Chooks little ladies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by moody-chicken, Mar 2, 2013.

1. moody-chicken

moody-chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Hi. I have got 4 bantam hens today. At least I'm hoping they're hens. Can someone tell me if they look like ladies? I have two pekins called Pip (brown) and Pop (black) and two light Sussex my husband has called Salt & Pepper. They all seem quite friendly and get on well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Salt:
    [​IMG]

Pepper:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm pretty much positive that all four of them are hens. None of them have pointed saddle or neck feathers and all roosters except Sebrights have poined saddle and neck feathers. They are very pretty chickens!

3. moody-chicken

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks! I was most worried about Pepper as she is a bit bigger that Salt will a longer comb and longer black neck feathers but then I guess she is probably just a bit older or more developed. Also Pops feathers seemed droopy in areas but I think she is just a bit 'shabby' from being in a cage with other hens whereas Pip was on her own. I'm relieved you think they are girls cos it was a long drive to get them and I don't fancy doing it again! Although another two Pekins wouldn't hurt cos they are soooo tiny! Love them all!

4. moody-chicken

Feb 2, 2013
    A close up of Pepper, the larger Light Sussex: [​IMG]

Pops ruffled bum compared to Pips smooth rounded feathers:
    [​IMG]

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

All look like hens to me!

6. moody-chicken