Are all of my eggs dead? :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by matt1898, Nov 25, 2013.

1. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Well, I'm attempting to hatch 20 eggs or so. I've been reading on how to candle them and I'm disturbed. Over half of the eggs that actually show some development all have a dot(assuming the beginning of a peep) and a red ring around it. I've read that this is a sign of a bacterial invasion and the egg is now bad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These eggs were put in the incubator wed night. All would be golden laced wyandotte/RIR or Buff orpington mixes. :(
    The rest of the eggs don't appear to be doing anything.

2. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Those are blood rings. It's not necessarily a bacterial infection. Just means early embryonic death and a number of factors could cause this. Look over everything and see if you come up with a cause or possible causes. What were your temps? Were they stable and consistent? What incubator are you using? Were the eggs old? Do they smell rotten? It's all a learning process. My first few hatches I've done, years ago, failed. I learned from them. And give it another go, don't give up!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Well the eggs were within the 7 day period. I'm using the little foam hatchery from TS. The temps have been a consistent 99.5( I spent several hours testing before putting eggs in). However, the air is static and I've read that is should be a few degrees higher? I've keep water in the tray beneath the eggs, however, the hygrometer I was using was faulty(just found this out). I wasn't really expecting much of anything to happen with this first batch, so I am not upset. I am going to get a new hygrometer for the next batch.

4. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I don't think humidity would be too much of a factor this early in incubation. My guess would be temp? I'd get another thermometer (some come with hydrometer) to check the accuracy of the temps. If you're using a little giant incubator, those are known to spike temps, especially still air. You can hatch successfully with those, but you would need to watch it very closely. And have a backup thermometer in there as the thermometer that comes with that incubator, I've found to be inaccurate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by