Are all roosters annoying buttheads?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SunAngel, Apr 27, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I am not a big fan of roosters. Not sure why, but I never really wanted to have any. After seeing everyones roosters on here and catching the hatching bug, I decided to give having a roo a try. I purchased a Blue Ameraucana trio and have hatched 2 chicks from them so far, which I am thrilled about. My problem is, I am just not liking the whole roo thing. Am I weird?

His funny dance is entertaining, but his crowing 10-15 times in a row isn't amusing at all. He really isn't friendly, all 3 freak when you try to get near them, but they are pretty and I still like them. Whats annoying me the most is he starts that warning cackle, like hens do and he keeps it up til half my hens are doing it too. He has started it again as I am typing this. Makes me want to drop kick him into the oven!!! There is nothing outside and he just freaks over any little noise. My hens very rarely did this before he got here. I have to go out and chase him around to get him to shut up!

My main problem is my 15 yr old son has claimed this rooster as 'his' chicken! So I am going to have a hard time getting rid of the roo. The only good thing about this roo is that he shows no aggression at all. No flogging or anything. He did kill my Polish by trying to mate her...think he broke her neck. So little things are starting to add to my not liking him.

Are all roos like this or do I just have a really stupid one? I don't want them to annoy the neighbors and have them complain to the authorities about the noise from my chickens. I really would like to keep a roo, but not if they are all like this. Are there any that crow occasionally during the day and don't freak out constantly?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    No, I have two buttheads and eight that are not. One of the buttheads was a big pet as a chick and may have been imprinted wrong, the other has no excuse, he is just a meanie. The others are just cuddly and gentle and never give me a challenge or a second look when i go about my business.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have had gentle sweet roos. I've known BJ the longest, maybe 8ish years now, and he's never failed to be a total love. He treats his lady friends like princesses, would protect them with his life, he has had the total adoration of each lady chicken that has been in his life and I can hold and hug and kiss him. I have always treated him gently and he trusts me. He is priceless and I dread the day I lose him.
    JJ

4. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I am seriously hoping I can get a bunch of various colored chicks from this roo before I totally lose my patience. I would like to build up a new laying/breed flock from him, but if he doesn't quiet down and stop freaking out, I think I may have to rehome him. He needs a bigger farm where he can make all the noise he wants to! I live on 3 acres, with pretty tolerable neighbors, but if he is annoying me, I just know someone is going to complain soon. I am just glad he is not mean also. That way I can rehome him and not feel bad about him possibly hurting anyone.

I just sold a sweetheart of a BO cockerel. If I was going to breed them, I would have kept him in a heartbeat. I am really hoping one of my Blue Ameraucana chicks end up being as friendly as that BO was.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    My answer....no..just the ones who love you. They are the true buttheads..lol!!

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Are all roosters annoying buttheads?

According to my teenagers ~ YES!

I find my roosters easier to manage than I do my teenagers much of the time!!

7. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I think this one talks back as much as my teenagers do lol My son named him Storm, which is probably fitting for the way he whips my hens into a frenzy over nothing!

8. louis

louis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    I have three 10 week-old RIR roos. I plan on culling at least one (maybe two) as soon as he's old enough because I only have 8 hens but so far none of them have given me any trouble at all. None have even crowed yet! I guess they're all different.

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    All my boys are wonderful.

10. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I think this ones problem is that he came here as an adult and was in the coop for most of the colder months, so the outside stuff and our area is still sort of new to him. I think if I can get a baby boy from him and raise him here, I won't have as many problems, hopefully [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by