Are all roosters mean?

PipiOli

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
Hi

I have a rooster who became kind of mean over time. At first he just kind of charged at us but now he actually even fly at us. I have carry broom or rakes or shovel with me to block the attacks.
Of course we don't want to hurt him just push him off us.
Are all roosters mean? And why? Is it because he is protecting his flock?
I will eventually have to get rid of him and I want to find him very nice home but I am afraid nobody will want give a ice home to a mean rooster?
What do you think? Would any nice family take him and give him nice home?

thank you

I'm not sure a mean rooster deserves such a nice home! I had to chuckle at your typo, "I am afraid nobody will want to give a ice home to a mean rooster". I'm sure lots of people would want to give him an ICE home. The freezer!

Seriously though, not all roosters are mean, and unless you want to work with this one to prove your own dominance, it sounds like his time has come.

ice home!!! had to laugh at that Freudian slip!!
lol.png

no thank you no ice home for my boy. ;-)
He never actually hurt us or peck at us.

well how do you manage mean rooster?
How do you prove your dominance with rooster??

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm so sorry you are faced with this challenge. Honestly, would you want to pass him off on another "nice" family? He could seriously injure someone. Not all roosters are mean. Him attacking you for any reason is not OK.

I have two roosters. One buff rooster who is king of the flock, and then he has a banty as his side kick. The banty usually isn't a problem, but the buff chases my kids all over the yard. He tries to act all big around me, an I show him I'm boss, and chase him around for a few minutes. Funny watching him run. I keep telling my kids to stand their ground and chase him around. I don't know if it works.

No, absolutely not. I have four who are the best boys ever, three different breeds, though one of the Barred Rocks is still just 17 weeks old. Temperament is largely heritable. My blue Orpington is a big blue teddy bear, my Delaware (in my avatar) is my best buddy, and my crippled BR rooster, Zane, is the love of my life. Their sires they came from were all very calm, good-tempered roosters as well. Almost without exception, the sons they throw are also calm, good natured roosters. It's individual, but also, if you get one from a good sire, you will have a better chance of one that is not human-aggressive.

Contrary to what some folks will tell you, they do not have to be human aggressive to be on-the-spot to protect their hens. I refuse to keep a human aggressive rooster here, at least in the standard size. Can't risk being knocked off my feet by an attacking rooster when doing the chores. Life's too short.

LOL, "ice home" might be best for him. How old is he?

Not all roosters turn mean, though puberty seems to make some get mean and stay that way, while some mature into quite nice gentlemen. It's a crap shoot. If you can wait him out, give him a chance. But do not let him around children or unsuspecting adults.

I've raised chickens a long time and I can tell you that the word "all" will never work when applied to chickens. Unless you say they're "all" different!
lol.png

In the beginning I did chase him back and he seemed to back off for a while.
He is silkie rooster (my guess). I amnot sure how old but I think pretty young...
We adopted him from SPCA as egg laying hen... well got proven otherwise ;-)
I think he is young because with time he grew those nice shiny long feathers on his tail...

A I said he never actually hurt us.
I will try chasing him around a little...
Of course I wouldn't wish a mean rooster upon another family. Just wondering if there is one who would put up with him...
Maybe I should let my Weimaraner have talk with him... just afraid his hunting instincts might wake up... ;-)

Last edited:
I am with Speckledhen. Not all roosters are mean. I have one Ameraucana rooster who is four years old. He is a very good boy. He watches over his hens, chases off the younger roosters but has NEVER come at me even once. I have three younger roosters that are all well behaved so far as well. One Orp who never thought to challenge me, one dark Brahma who thought to challenge me (just puffing up) and hasn't tried it ever since I made him back up and carried him around a couple of times and one more light Brahma that hasn't challenged me at all. Now, I did have a couple of sons from my AM roo that are no longer because they thought that they were in charge. They made a very good baked chicken dinner. I will not allow a mean rooster to stay on my property.

Back
Top Bottom